Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Playing Again At The Chicken Ranch

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
We had a pound of 80/20 Nolan Ryan ground chuck from Kroger that was meant for hamburgers. But instead of just grilling them like most hamburgers, I decided to sous vide them for a couple of hours. 

Misippi Egger did some sous vide burgers a few days ago and they looked really good. 

I didn't want to 'fancy' them up with mushrooms and stuff but I did want the process to be fun and tasty. 

I grabbed the first bottle of seasoning I saw, Meat Church's Holy Cow rub and laid it on good over the three 4-oz patties. Just a pinch of kosher salt and that was it. Into the sous vide bag and water they went. 

Meanwhile, the bottle of Holy Cow rub reminded me of the Holy Cow Church I made for Meat Church BBQ's Matt Pittman and his wife. I gave it to them at the Texas Eggfest. It was a fun project. Here'w some photos. 

And in this photo, notice the halo on the cow. 

Then I noticed the box of Laughing Cow cheese in the cheese tray. That's when I had yet another brillient idea - Put some Laughing Cow Cheese on my Holy Cow Burger. 

Yes, a 'Holy Laughing Cow' or perhaps a 'Laughing Holy Cow' burger... 

Here's some more pictures: 

Of course it was good. Fun too. 

Great to have the GreenEggers forum back up and running. 

Spring "And Fun Was Had By All" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I just got up and this is the first post I have seen today. What a nice way to start the day! Thanks for posting!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks great Leroy!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks good- was it worth the extra SV step?  How long did you leave them in?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Looks good- was it worth the extra SV step?  How long did you leave them in?
    Yes it was worth it.  I think it not only spread the rub flavors throughout the meat the two hour bath loosened the texture while giving them a nice juiciness to round out the experience.  And, I didn't have to 'over cook' the outside of the burger to get the inside done.  It was a perfect medium rare on the inside.

They were not overly thick so two hours in the bath was enough.  If I was cooking really thick burgers (well over 1" thick) I would probably go three hours, or perhaps raise the temperature of the sous vide bath by a few degrees if you are pressed for time.   

My Sweetie liked them too.

Spring "Time Out Two Hours" Chicken

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looks delicious!  
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...