Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burn Out--Sides of shell

Hi First posting. I have 2 eggs a med and an xl.  The xl being the newest purchase. I have had the med for about 4 years and used it for everything. I have just done a burn out. The ring and fire box are white. I burned them in the xl as the back side (closest the shell0 was just black and cruded out. All that being said. The interior of the shell is black and greasy. Have any of you started a fire with no fire box or ring just to burn out the shell to clean it. If not what do you do?  Thanks Brian in ny

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Hey Brian, welcome!  I'd be hesitant to do a burnout without the fire ring myself, but I'd be interested to see what others say. 

I guess I don't see much of a reason to get the interior of my egg that clean...works just the same 'black and greasy' :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Probably not the brightest of ideas to burn without the firebox period. Going nuclear sans the firebox would seem to be a recipe for a brand new "DEVASTATED" thread. Screw it....Do it! :lol:
    Hold my beer. Watch this sh!t. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Probably not the brightest of ideas to burn without the firebox period. Going nuclear sans the firebox would seem to be a recipe for a brand new "DEVASTATED" thread. Screw it....Do it! :lol:
    Hold my beer. Watch this sh!t. 

This!  Not.  I'm ready for a new DEVASTATED thread  :o. Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  You definitely have this rig sorted out.  As above, not sure the problem you are looking to solve.  I'm not a ceramics engineer so I can't offer anything objective here.
    Share with us some of your observation and cooks as I would offer that the majority of forum participants have way less BGE run-time than you.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    It would be devastating plus what would happen to the sugar gliders:)
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have personally owned my medium for so long that when I finally changed out my cracked fire ring the new ring wouldn't fit into my egg. I had to literally scrape the shell of my egg down with a putty knife before it would fit. Now I am not sure how many years it has been. Or how many bags of charcoal but in all that time I have never cleaned the shell of my egg and it never affected the outcome of my food. Personally I wouldn't bother. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I agree with @Jstroke !  It would hurt me to see a DEvestation Thread !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• BGNMI
    BGNMI Posts: 20
    Ok some context. 4 year old medium. Too small for brisket or a Full rack so a lot of grease has dripped were it should not have. Thinking that a good fire would burn it clean. The issue to solve is the accumulated burnt oil smell. BUT not at the expense of destroying the rig. I got the xl so i could catch 100% of the dripping fat and discard. I have grown to hate the smell of burning fat.

Love the site and learned a lot. BTW i am making char sui ribs tomorrow. Made rack of lamb tonight and Faroe Island salmon yesterday. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    BGNMI said:
    Love the site and learned a lot. BTW i am making char sui ribs tomorrow. Made rack of lamb tonight and Faroe Island salmon yesterday. 

You know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen :wink:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NorthPilot06
    +1. I'll even settle for pics of the char sui ribs. 
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    edited August 2016
    I just had a similar issue, crud/gunk/grease was starting to form a thick layer on the inside shell of my base, i scraped it with a chisel gently but it came off fairly easy since i had done a clean burn. As far as burning with no fire box...im ballsy and dont recommend it, im covered by warranty also.
    Austin, Tx
  • BGNMI
    First pict is the med and the second is charsui st louis cut. Behind is a plate beef short rib as well. Will post finished cook picts. The Charsui has NO red dye.
  • BGNMI
    Als I like the flexibility of the KJ D&C rig vs plate setter. I have broken one in the past
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Nice!!  Thanks for sharing and am now on the hunt for charsui, love the flavor 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • NorthPilot06
    Looking great, I bet it tastes even better!