Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon. Kosher vs table salt

Options
I smoked up some bacon a few weeks ago for the first time. My recipe called for 1/3 cup kosher salt for a 4-5 lb pork belly. I only had table salt. So I let it cure for 5 days. Smoked it up and it came out quite salty. Was that because I used table vs kosher salt or just to much salt. I talked to my Swiss butcher and he didn't even know what kosher salt was but he says I should only use 17grams per KG of meat. So if my math was right I ended up using 40 grams according to my scale. Does that make sense to anyone??

Comments

• TKoot
    TKoot Posts: 15
    Options
    That makes perfect sense. Thanks. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yep, what buzd504 said. I use Diamond Crystal kosher, and it has half the weight per volume as table salt(5 vs 10oz/cup here in the US). Unless specified, most recipes are calling for kosher in recipes as well(at least here in the US). 

You can blanch the bacon slices with boiling water for a few minutes and that will remove some salt.
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Was yours a wet cure or a dry cure?  I only ask because I'm trying my hand at curing a pork belly at the moment and used 3 different wet cure recipes.  In all 3, the salt dissolved in the liquid thus making the crystal size irrelevant.

The salty thing was my big concern.  The recipe just calls to rinse the meat off.  I have heard soaking does some good.  I guess it's trial and error to find the exact way you want it.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Before smoking the bacon, I rinse it off after curing (even with Kosher). After rinsing, I liberally apply more pepper and let it air dry in the fridge for a couple of days before smoking it.  Comes out perfect - i.e., not too salty.

My cure is eye-balled salt, br sugar and pepper. 
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    I use kosher, but - did you give it a good soak/rinse after curing/before smoking? 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You need to weigh the salt. Crystal size doesn't quite matter during the cure (wet or dry), but it sure matters when measuring by volume
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Yes, you used too much. Either weigh your salt (per Darby) or use kosher salt. 

And @chadpsualum - the crystal doesn't matter during the cure because a solution is formed, but it absolutely matters when measuring to ensure the proper salinity of your cure. 

And use the suggestion of @Eggcelsior - you can soak bacon (even after smoking) to remove some salt. Not optional, but it will work. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes, you used too much. Either weigh your salt (per Darby) or use kosher salt. 

And @chadpsualum - the crystal doesn't matter during the cure because a solution is formed, but it absolutely matters when measuring to ensure the proper salinity of your cure. 

And use the suggestion of @Eggcelsior - you can soak bacon (even after smoking) to remove some salt. Not optional, but it will work. 
    Good advice here.  And he typed in optimal.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Haha good catch. They still haven't made these iPhones read your mind yet. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    You can measure out/substitute table salt for kosher salt, but I can't remember what the reduction ratio was.  Stand by....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is the salt I have cooked with for over 20 years. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Drastic differences among brands/types of salt. For example, per Serious Eats...
    • "Table Salt: 7 grams per teaspoon
    • Morton's Kosher Salt: 6 grams per teaspoon
    • Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt: 4 grams per teaspoon
    • Large Flake Sea Salt: 3 grams per teaspoon

Of course, measuring inaccuracies and scale rounding errors could mean your weights for the same salts could be a little different than mine, but in general, if using Diamond Crystal salt, you'll need about twice as much volume wise to get the same salting level as table salt."

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/pizza-protips-salt-why-you-need-salt-in-baking.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Thanks for that @Carolina Q - Good perspective to keep in mind.

I generally use Morton's Kosher for measurements because it's fairly commonplace, but it's good to remember that not even all Kosher salt is created equal.
  • TKoot
    Options
    Was yours a wet cure or a dry cure?  I only ask because I'm trying my hand at curing a pork belly at the moment and used 3 different wet cure recipes.  In all 3, the salt dissolved in the liquid thus making the crystal size irrelevant.

The salty thing was my big concern.  The recipe just calls to rinse the meat off.  I have heard soaking does some good.  I guess it's trial and error to find the exact way you want it.
    I did a dry cure. I'm doing one now with a 10% salt brine solution 
  • TKoot
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    I use kosher, but - did you give it a good soak/rinse after curing/before smoking? 
    I just gave it a rinse. After talking to my butcher he soaks his in fresh water for 30-60 minutes after brining it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I always use kosher and always soak for at least an hour (have soaked for up to 4 hours) before smoking.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have only  done this twice (actually third batch (12lbs) is in process). Batch 1 (1lb) I did not rinse and it was a bit salty.  Second (3lbs) just did a quick rinse under the faucet and added more pepper and dried for 2 days before smoking. So far, that was a winner - not too salty.  Dry-rub/brine for 3rd batch will be done on Thursday and will smoke on Friday just in time for Saturday breakfast.