Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Authentic PERUVIAN CHICKEN. Hands down, best I've ever made. Second best I've ever had...

Options
2»

Comments

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    @KiterTodd, it was sorta spatched- in that I removed the back bone but I didn't make the cut wide enough for the bird to collapse. I could have forced it flat but I wasn't worried about it. 
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,087
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Strength most certainly varies from supplier to supplier. In the UK we have Barts spices, their cumin is about 1/3rd of the strength of ground cumin from East End (another supplier). I found this out one day the hard way when making crispy aromatic duck. :)

So last night I used 1 tsp ground cumin with this recipe, and it was perfect. I cooked double cut pork loin chops, it works well with that too ... so not just for chicken. I also upped the amount of oregano.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @KiterTodd - Thanks so much for your post.  I finally got to it tonight, and it was fantastic!!  I marinated a full 24 hours, and basted every 20 minutes.  Got rave reviews!  The dipping sauce is excellent too.  Really glad to have left-overs.  I know, a pic or it never happened.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    great looking cook.  thanks for the recipe.  

One note on the recipe, might recommend a Grade A chicken.  Grade A means the bird has been inspected by USDA and should have no flaws in the skin.  For me, important step for spatchcocking birds.  Better for working fingers under the skin from breast to leg, lessens chance of tearing skin.........

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    @tksmoke that's a great looking bird!  Thanks for sharing the results and photo.   Now I'm hungry.  And I just had lunch.  It's a problem...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • CurtisMaximus
    Options
    Made the chicken and the sauce this weekend, the family was VERY happy. Thanks for sharing!
    L BGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think I'm going to get some Peruvian food when I'm in Miami later this week.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Cook it just like you cook Cuy.  That is Peruvian.  Hmmm, thinking about it, I think I will visit the nearest pet store.