Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough bark on butt.

Options
wbradking
wbradking Posts: 351
Hi everyone, I'm in need of some pulled pork help.  I did a butt this morning...put it on at 7:15 AM and let it ride at 275* - 300* range raised indirect until 6:30 PM this evening.  Rubbed with a home made rub, no spritzing, no foiling, apple chunks for smoke.  It's a rub originally designed for salmon, but today I tried it on the butt: 1 part brown sugar, 1 part paprika, 1/3 part cinnamon, 2/3 part thyme, 1/3 part dried orange peel, 1/3 part salt.  Temp was 199*-203* depending on where it was probed and it felt done. The internal meat was moist and tender but the bark was very tough.  It almost had the consistency of beef jerky.

Could it be that the brown sugar over caramelized and made things tough?  It didn't taste burned.  Could spritzing with apple juice or cider vinegar helped?  What about foiling?

Thanks for the help.

--Brad
Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,072
    Options
    Sounds like you've figured it out already.  Too much sugar can do that.  You can eyeball the bark when it's getting to the plateau stage, then determine if you need to foil it or not.  
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Not sure but I had this same thing happen on a butt I did recently. I didn't change anything i normally do and I only use spog for seasoning. It was weird. 

I saved it though by not pulling it and reheating the whole thing the next day in a foiled pan with apple juice. The bark got a little moister and it was good again
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Was it a boneless butt? I have had that happen on boneless butts on the smaller bits that kind of hang out from where the bone was cut out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would say the sugar started charring and burning and drying out the meat, hence the jerky. Not foiling or spritzing also prevented retention of moisture or adding liquids to the butt. I used a burger seasoning that was heavy on sugar and it crisped up the meat too well.
    Austin, Tx
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Get the bark to where you want it..typically internal temp about 165 then wrap.  That allows you to incorporate your bark into your pulled.  Imho
  • wbradking
    Options
    @DMW it was bone-in but the jerky feel was all over.

Thanks guys.  I'm going with the brown sugar theory and will probably wrap it next time at the plateau and see what happens.

--Brad
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I'm going to poop on the sugar theory. The infamous Coffee Rub heavily favored here is my go-to rub and has a lot of brown sugar (1/2 cup out of total of 2and 1/4 cups = 22% sugar.) I've never had a tough bark situation although I do a mayonnaise coating first.  @wbradking recipe above is 27% sugar if my math is correct.  I really don't think that 5% extra sugar is the fault.  My theory is the 11+ hours at 275-300.   I do turbo in the low 300s in about 7-8 hours. It dried out.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • wbradking
    Options
    @JethroVA  Good point about drying out.... turbo next time.  Or mayo coating.  Or a bacon wrap.  Or a turbo-mayo-bacon wrap.  Hmmmm....
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    What's wrong with jerky? =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • wbradking
    Options
    I love jerky, but not on a sandwich.  ;)
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,836
    Options
    if you dont like the heavy bark, start with a piece with a heavy fat cap to protect the meat, tent with foil when the color appeals to you, use just a little rub and keep cooking til done. myself, i like a heavy chewy bark, i trim all the fat off before cooking, use three times the rub as most, and never use foil =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it