Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Nest

Options
So.....I went to re-varnish my table this weekend.  Upon removing the 2 layers of ceramic tile I used for a base, I found table to be scorched underneath the tiles.   I replaced the cedar boards and now have a table nest.  

Is it OK to just have just the table nest on the cedar, or do I need fire brick below in addition to the nest?  Obviously both would be best, but I would prefer just to have the table nest on the cedar for a cleaner look, but also do not want to burn down the neighborhood.
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    This has been a hot topic, the recommendation is a paver on the wood and legs to provide an air gap between the egg and paver. Any pics of the scorch?

Hope this helps, others will chime in.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I don't have a paver under my table nest and there has been no discoloration whatsoever. The wood on my table doesn't even get warm underneath.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    So.....I went to re-varnish my table this weekend.  Upon removing the 2 layers of ceramic tile I used for a base, I found table to be scorched underneath the tiles.   I replaced the cedar boards and now have a table nest.  

Is it OK to just have just the table nest on the cedar, or do I need fire brick below in addition to the nest?  Obviously both would be best, but I would prefer just to have the table nest on the cedar for a cleaner look, but also do not want to burn down the neighborhood.
    I disagree with the thinking that the paver is "obviously best" the paver holds heat and transfers it to the wood without any airflow between the paver and the wood. I believe you are better off without it. Air gap/ flow is your friend. 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have a table nest without the paver, no discolouration in the wood and I can hold my hand under the egg on the wood when the egg is at high temps. I have had this setup for 3+ years 
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    Awesome.  Thank you for the feedback everyone!

Sorry.  No pics of the scorch.  I should have but was too lazy, being the real feel temperature was 112 degrees with high humidity that day.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg