Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Class B Motorhome

Options
Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts? This would be our first camper, but we are always going to the lake and thought this would be easier to drive than a big motorhome and maybe easier to find a place to store.

Mid 20's couple with a 16 mo old baby.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    First thought is go class c not b. My cousin has 1 that he uses for just him to travel to his showers with solo. He does not bring his family with him in it though. With the young one you will want a place for them to grow into as well. It's not my money so that is only my thought.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Options
    I appreciate it.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have been looking at big Class A's to travel with 4 young kids to avoid the hassle of airports, hotels, etc.  The problem you're going to run into, is the same that stopped me......child restraint systems.  The front two seats both have normal 3-point seat belts, but everything else is nothing more than a lap belt screwed to some plywood.  I have yet to see one that you actually a secure place to strap a car seat. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never liked the motohome idea, like having a vehicle and leaving the trailer at site. but then again, in my 20's i just slept under the truck =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Options
    We would mostly be using up by the lake, so we were going to store it up there. (about 3 hours away, and way cheaper than storing it in Des Moines) so we would have a car up there as well. I don't want a travel trailer because I dont want to have to buy the truck to pull it as well, and if we go on a family vacation we could just drive the rv.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have been looking at big Class A's to travel with 4 young kids to avoid the hassle of airports, hotels, etc.  The problem you're going to run into, is the same that stopped me......child restraint systems.  The front two seats both have normal 3-point seat belts, but everything else is nothing more than a lap belt screwed to some plywood.  I have yet to see one that you actually a secure place to strap a car seat. 
    My rv has safety latch at the base of the seats in the dinete that is attached to the frame. The Winnebago view had them too. It's a small class c that is about as small as I could see being useful. The nice B cost more than the small class a.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    IMO, a Class B (Van Front end) is a perfect first motorhome. Like you wrote, 'very easy to navigate', an added plus is that if it were to break down, parts are plentiful ... and are very easy to work on yourself.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would love a Unimog

I will start by saying I have never owned a class B but have RVed  for 24 years and owned everything except a B and a 5th wheel.  I have considered the B and looked at them at RV shows but they are just insanely expensive new and I would guess the same for a used one.  They sound real good ( for the reasons you state ) until you look at what you spend and what you will get.  I would rather spend a weekend at a lake in a pop-up than a class B.  I wouldn't worry about storage as storage places are everywhere once you start looking around.  I liked my class C which is best bang for the buck but LOVED my class A for touring the country with my kids.  My current RV is a travel trailer and a crew cab pickup.  It is my first pickup and can't believe I lived so long without one!  I bet you can buy a pickup and trailer for much less than a class B and be much more comfortable camping and traveling.  Good luck, you will love RVing no matter what you get!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^thats what we're doing. In fact we're getting ours next weekend.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    We have a class A, and have been all over in it with our 3 kids. I'm kind of obsessed with RV's (and grilling, and sports, and.... But that's another story). I've looked in and been in RVs of all sizes and shapes, and have come to the conclusion that the "perfect" RV for every situation just doesn't exist. Here are my thoughts on your questions, though. 
    I have a friend with a class B. Every time I get in it, I'm amazed at two things. One, how small it is on the inside. And two, how well they have utilized the space available. My only concern for you would be the baby/growing child. There isn't much (any) separation between beds or rooms in a B. That might not be a big deal now, but as your kid grows and if you add any more to the mix, you may wish for some private space. But, the maneuverability of the B's is a major plus. 
    If it was me, I'd go with a C or a small A. You get more space for the buck, and have room to spread out a little as your family grows. But that's just me.... 

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    We've owned a pop-up, travel trailer, Class C and currently have a Class A.   We are looking to move to a 5th wheel.  For us, with a growing family, the Class A was the best solution, towed a Honda Element behind it...travelled to the West Coast, Florida, New England and all over our home state, MI.  Kids are now grown and we not longer need instant access to the bathroom, refrigerator or kitchen while rolling down the highway.  

Before deciding on the 5th wheel we seriously considered a Class B, finally deciding that the lack of space in a "B" outweighed the convenience and maneuverability for the kind of travelling we'll be doing.