Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peruvian Chicken

Options
BigWings
BigWings Posts: 172
This looks like a nice alternative to the standard spatchcock chicken cooks I've been doing lately.    Going to be on the menu in the near future.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html

New Brunswick, Canada

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    That looks really good, thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    There is a Peruvian restaurant near me that serves that chicken and sauce. Love it! I have not tried to make it yet but it's on my list.
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    looks great. relatively easy too.  thanks for the post.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    There are a couple Peruvian rotisserie chicken places around me that are absolutely stellar.  I've made some good spatch but have yet to recreate their flavor.  The best ones serve you a hot & juicy chicken, with delicious skin and a flavor that seems to penetrate all the meat.   I don't think it does, I think the trick is the chickens are on the smaller size (like this recipe notes) and you can't not get the flavoring in every bite as you tear into it.

In any case, thanks for the link. I'll give it a try!

The sauce, when made correctly...awesome!

For the record, I had a 1/2 chicken this week and took a picture it was so good;

LBGE/Maryland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I did this one a while back.  It was really good.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177489/sunday-supper-peruvian-chicken

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Does the rub contain Peruvian marching powder?
    Options
    Does the rub contain Peruvian marching powder?
    Based on personal experience, it contains crack cocaine.    That is the only conclusion I have come to, as a properly prepared chicken will have me licking the ribs for all remaining flavor morsels. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    There are a couple Peruvian rotisserie chicken places around me that are absolutely stellar.  I've made some good spatch but have yet to recreate their flavor.  The best ones serve you a hot & juicy chicken, with delicious skin and a flavor that seems to penetrate all the meat.   I don't think it does, I think the trick is the chickens are on the smaller size (like this recipe notes) and you can't not get the flavoring in every bite as you tear into it.

For the record, I had a 1/2 chicken this week and took a picture it was so good;

lol Sardi's is the cream of the crop!  Many Peruvian chicken places in the DMV but Sardi's is the best.  I always ask for double yellow sauce (homemade mayonnaise sauce)   It's the best! I love the peruvian fried rice and plantains!!
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    stv8r said:
    KiterTodd said:
    lol Sardi's is the cream of the crop!  Many Peruvian chicken places in the DMV but Sardi's is the best.  I always ask for double yellow sauce (homemade mayonnaise sauce)   It's the best! I love the peruvian fried rice and plantains!!
    Finally!  Someone who understands my dilemma.   THIS is the chicken I'm trying to recreate.  :confounded::lol:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    stv8r said:
    KiterTodd said:

I love Peruvian chicken, need to try it on the Egg. Thanks for the recipes!

I'll have to try this place when I'm in Nova. I've only been to El Pollo Rico in Arlington and that place is amazing. @JohnnyP This place has a location in Manassas. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    I'm going to try for the authentic Peruvian chicken this week.  ONE QUESTION -

Do you ever baste your spatchcock chicken?

Here is the thing...I'm in the "don't open the lid until it's done" camp.  I've been reading a few recipes and they all say to baste the chicken every 10 or 20 minutes.  And I believe, even in the rotisserie places I'll occasionally see them open up the door and give the chickens a wet mop.

I also don't flip my spatch like the recipe linked here suggests.  I just let it sit in there closed and it browns up nicely upon completion.

I'm thinking if I open it up to baste, I'm going to mess with the mojo.  Maybe if I really let the egg ceramics heat up for a while before cooking, it won't be an issue.

Thanks for any tips.  I'll post the cook in another thread once I run through it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I'm going to try for the authentic Peruvian chicken this week.  ONE QUESTION -

Do you ever baste your spatchcock chicken?

I agree that the moist food is one of the egg's strong suits, and every time you open that lid you lose moisture.   With that logic, I do not baste, with one exception - when I want to lay on a think flavourful coating.  It's great for adding late stage flavour, however not something I would do to enhance moisture.

New Brunswick, Canada

• KiterTodd
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So I was thinking, sometimes when I do a 350=375 cook I leave the chimney off and just adjust temp with the lower vent.   If I had a basting brush on a long handle....   
    LBGE/Maryland