Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon-wrapped Pork Shoulder stuffed with Sausage Meat, Sage and Apricot ... from SWMBO

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited August 2016 in Pork
Everything is better with bacon. So on that basis, we threw together three different types of pork (sausage, bacon and shoulder) last night.

Pork shoulder was butterflied, then mushroom, sage, apricots and sausage meat layered onto the pork. Rolled, wrapped with bacon and hog-tied  (very appropriate word). Cooked on the MM indirect at 375F/190C until internal temp was 146F/63C. Pork roll set aside, platesetter removed and pork returned for direct cooking for two minutes each side.

Photographs and ... well, the whole thing apart from lighting the egg and cooking the thing ... courtesy of SWMBO, who for once wasn't chasing Pokemon during the cook.

Wrapped and ready to go. The skewers came in handy later.

Watching the internal temp with a kitchen thermometer:

Take the joint off (using the skewers), remove the platesetter and replace the joint:

Then flip onto the other side, again using those handy skewers:

And it's ready!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    WOW !!!!!! That is perfection.. Everything is spot on.. Fantastic pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A pork three-way.  I love it.  It looks excellent.  Job well done to you and your wife. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    That looks Porkelicious!  That's another way to do a fatty.  Nicely done.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Thanks. What was "Porkelicious" was having the leftovers for breakfast. :D
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I hope you had giant sized biscuits on hand. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Stormbringer
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I used the leftovers to make Vietnamese banh mi rolls, complete with pickled carrot and daikon and coriander (cilantro). Fried the pork in lemongrass paste to give it that authentic kick.

Hmm .. hungry again now. And it's lunchtime, hurrah!

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I used the leftovers to make Vietnamese banh mi rolls, complete with pickled carrot and daikon and coriander (cilantro). Fried the pork in lemongrass paste to give it that authentic kick.

I guess if you were out of biscuits that will have to do!  Man that sounds awesome.  I really want to try a banh mi roll.  I haven't had one but I love all of those ingredients. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    That looks fantastic... What a porker!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Stormbringer
    edited August 2016
    Options

I guess if you were out of biscuits that will have to do!  Man that sounds awesome.  I really want to try a banh mi roll.  I haven't had one but I love all of those ingredients. 
    This may be a cultural thing ... in the UK a biscuit is something one dunks into a cup of tea, so not really something to go with leftover pork. What are biscuits on your side of the pond? Some sort of roll or bun?

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

This may be a cultural thing ... in the UK a biscuit is something one dunks into a cup of tea. What are biscuits on your side of the pond?
    You can do that, but a biscuit is more eaten at breakfast with something like jelly spread on it or you can use it to make a sandwich.  That is what they are talking about here.  A biscuit is also used as a desert topped with fruit and whip cream.  We mostly dunk doughnuts in coffee.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.