Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome or grate temp and why

Options
I've always used the dome temp when I cook, don't know why. That's just the way I started and have kept doing it. What temp do you all use and why. Is one way better than the other or is it just whatever you get used to. Thanks.

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I only use the dome therm and a probe in the meat. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dome will be one temp, grid will be another. What really matters is the temp or tenderness of the meat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    It doesn't matter, just stay consistant.  You'll be able to perfect your technique from either, but don't undermine your own learning by changing uneccesary variables  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Always cook by temp of the protein....the rest don't really matter. The meat doesn't know what its cooked on. My first early piece of knowledge from this great forum. When its close, pull it. Don't kill it with extra time. Believe in the force......
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    As above, cook to proper IT.  BGE recipes are written for dome temp.  In long cooks (L&S) dome and grate nearly equalize.   In shorter hot cooks not so much.  Trust your experience and a thermapen,  valuable tools.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Pick one and srick with it 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Either one works. Just pick one and use that if you want to repeat your cooks later. I go by grate myself since that's where my food is.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Chef Boy RC
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I do use a thermapen  for the meat temp. I just didn't know if one way or the other was any better for the cooking temp. Thanks. 
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    I agree with the thought that you should pick one and stick with it.

The dome and grate will be different, but if you stick with one and use the meat temp to be your guide to completion then you should be able to have repeatable results.

I personally use the grate temp as @Toxarch says...that's where my food is at.  The tricky thing for me (on indirect cooks) is getting that probe in a place that is above the heat deflector but not in the way of the food.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Dome and grate aren't really that different. Once the pit stabilizes I find they're within maybe 10 degrees of each other. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I use the dome temp as a general guide and sometimes clip guru probe to it and calibrate dome thermo by keeping a wrench out at grilling station.   But grid temp with guru is what i use most often for lomg term cooks.   Utthe dome thermo temp is useful when searimg amd grilling over shorter times fwiw
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As above, pick one and learn how your BGE responds.  There are thermal gradients inside the BGE (like your clock box). You can have too much temperature info.  Just make sure that whatever you use is calibrated.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

(I actually use grate temp, because I want to know the temp where the food is cooking, but this meme always cracks me up.) :smile:
    LBGE/Maryland