Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Logistics Question on multiple Spatchcock chickens on a Large

Options
I just got signed up to do the main course for a dinner on Friday night. At minimum there will be 6 and 2 kids, at most 8 and 2 kids including a teenager that last time ate two racks of ribs, appetizers, and dessert. (so just assume 10+ adults).

Two asked for spatchcock chicken but I haven't convinced my dad to give me his egg yet (he never uses it, I've got him on the ropes) so I have to do all this on one Large.

I have seen guys cut chickens in half to get more on the surface, but is it possible to get three whole birds on the Egg at once raised direct? With them taking 40 minutes-ish  to finish, I don't want one sitting around waiting on the other two to cook.

I typically say 1/3 of a bird per person to be safe. Most of the time the guys cut off the wings and snack on them before I get them to plate so there is only the breasts, thighs, and drums for serving, so I figured 3 will suffice.

Anyone have any ideas or done this before? Is there another way to skin this cat? Thanks.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    1/3 per person sounds about right to me, but that teenager outlier is tough to plan for.  I can easily fit 2 on my large...possibly 3 if you get creative, but I haven't laid them out to see how I'd do that.

What I do in situations like this, is make two meats.  One that cooks long, one that cooks quick.   Cook your 2 chickens (3 if you can squeeze 'em) and then while they are resting throw on some sausage or hot dogs.    If you have multiple meats, people will try a little bit of both and everything will go further. 

When the 2nd meat is halfway cooked, you can go in, separate the chicken into parts, get things on the table, and then throw the sausage/dogs directly on the table from the grill as you're calling everyone to dinner. 

You could also do a seafood.  Fish & shrimp cook really quick and yield great results.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    was me and it would be spatchcocked whole breast, this is enough to feed 14. cook whole then split at the table. you can double the amount beer canning them

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it