Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No more chicken brines

Options
ive been brining for years with excellent results on all of my webers.  Did a spatchcock last Saturday ( no brine ).  It was tender but I wasn't impressed.  ( I had prepped it in the morning and golfed all day ).  I attributed the lack of flavor and juice to me trying cook fast after getting home late. 
Did 2 more birds today ( was almost gonna go back to the brine by didnt ). They turned out excellent.  Full of flavor, and juicier than any chicken that I had previously brined. Quite impressed.  Definitely a go to chicken.   One was rosemary and garlic and the other lemon pepper. ( I think I might have gotten a bad bird the week before as these were great --- different store )
LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
Jacksonville, FL

Comments

• tikigriller
    Options
    This may not get a reply, but I will try....why did you decide to not Brine anymore?  I brinded a spatchcock last week, and it was WAY to salty.  Am planning to do a couple birds tomorrow and I am lost as to if I feel I should brine them, or just go without.  The brined chickens were the juiciest chicken I ever had, but it was the first one I have ever done on a pellet grill (just added the BGE to the mix), so I donl;t know if it was the grill or the brine.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • dogoffo
    Options
    I dry brine or inject with Butcher BBQ bird booster.  It's less mess and the results are great.
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    This may not get a reply, but I will try....why did you decide to not Brine anymore?  I brinded a spatchcock last week, and it was WAY to salty.  Am planning to do a couple birds tomorrow and I am lost as to if I feel I should brine them, or just go without.  The brined chickens were the juiciest chicken I ever had, but it was the first one I have ever done on a pellet grill (just added the BGE to the mix), so I donl;t know if it was the grill or the brine.
    I always use to brine.  Just decided to try the egg without the brine since everything is juicy.  I didn't need to add any flavor either.  Brine is an unneeded step with spatchcock unless u are trying to add flavor. 
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • tikigriller
    Options
    BBQbutler said:
    I always use to brine.  Just decided to try the egg without the brine since everything is juicy.  I didn't need to add any flavor either.  Brine is an unneeded step with spatchcock unless u are trying to add flavor. 
    Thanks!  By the way, when I said I did not think this would get a reply, it was because the thread was so old, that it would get lost in the shuffle.

Your thread helped me out when I did my Chickens and I did NOT Brine them, and they came out perfectly juicy.  We chopped up the leftovers and put them into Chicken Enchiladas last night and it was awesome!  Without the Brine, I felt I could taste the smokiness much more, and that translated to great chicken and really great enchiladas!!

headed to Napa this weekend and I think I am going genuinely miss my Egg....I have a problem!!!   :s
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like brining to add flavor.  I used to cook chicken without brining and it was juicily, but didn't have a lot of flavor even with putting a rub on it.  I like adding my rub of choice to the brine, it really makes it taste better to me.  It's a little more prep work, but not that big of deal.  If in a hurry I don't brine. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    I like to dry brine my chix overnight in the fridge, uncovered.  Breast always comes out tender and juicy and the skin crisps up nicely.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    When I cook a whole chicken, it is always spatchcock style.  I've tried brined and not brined.  I prefer brined so when I have time, I do it.  It is still nice and juicy without the brine...

I tend to agree that spatchcocked chicken doesn't need the brining, but after a number of experiments I finally concluded that drumsticks, wings, and thighs all benefit greatly from overnight brining. Just my experience, YMMV.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Engine6
    Engine6 Posts: 32
    Options
    BBQbutler said:
    ive been brining for years with excellent results on all of my webers.  Did a spatchcock last Saturday ( no brine ).  It was tender but I wasn't impressed.  ( I had prepped it in the morning and golfed all day ).  I attributed the lack of flavor and juice to me trying cook fast after getting home late. 
    Did 2 more birds today ( was almost gonna go back to the brine by didnt ). They turned out excellent.  Full of flavor, and juicier than any chicken that I had previously brined. Quite impressed.  Definitely a go to chicken.   One was rosemary and garlic and the other lemon pepper. ( I think I might have gotten a bad bird the week before as these were great --- different store )
    What's your set up?
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    Engine6 said:
    BBQbutler said:
    What's your set up?
    Woo-CI
    exterder and a Weber charcoal grate. I need to order the D grate from CGS
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Engine6
    Options
    BBQbutler said:
    Engine6 said:
    BBQbutler said:
    What's your set up?
    Woo-CI
    What grid set up is that?
  • Engine6
    Options
    Engine6 said:
    BBQbutler said:
    Engine6 said:
    BBQbutler said:
    What's your set up?
    Woo-CI
    What grid set up is that?
    never mind saw it. :-)
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have the PS-Woo and will ask for the Extender for Christmas.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group