Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Brisket, Kobe Brisket

Options
JoeyB106
JoeyB106 Posts: 36
Hey Guys I'm trying out doing a Wagyu Brisket, this weekend i have a 16 pound one ready to go! Hopefully everything will come out amazing photos to come!! has anyone done a Wagyu Brisket before? any tips?
Joey B

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yeah, I've cooked a few, as have a good many others here. Watch it, it can cook faster than choice and also finish at a lower internal temp. I usually start checking for tenderness around 185*. Had one finish at 187*.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JoeyB106
    Options
    roughly do you know how many hours it will take to cook at 250?
    Joey B
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    JoeyB106 said:
    roughly do you know how many hours it will take to cook at 250?
    Figure 1 hour per pound at least.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I can't wait to see the pictures. I bet it's going to be fantastic.
  • JoeyB106
    Options
    so I'm looking at roughly 16 hours to cook. perfect! i was told that the wagyu gold brisket can cook faster then a normal brisket. also i know this is always a huge debate but fat side up or down? lol
    Joey B
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I cook a couple of wagyu briskets a month. I typically cook the black label but have cooked the gold in the past. I can't tell any difference in cook time on any of them, choice, prime, or wagyu. Every different cut of meat cooks a little different however. I do find that I usually have to go to at least 210 degrees or so before it is probe tender. I always cook fat cap down if my heat source is below the meat. This gives a sacrificial barrier if you will. It is a myth that cooking with the fat cap up bastes the meat as it cooks. It simply runs off the side washing off the rub. However, if I was cooking on a reverse flow offset cooker, I would turn it fat cap up because the heat source is coming across the top in that situation.
  • JoeyB106
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I cook a couple of wagyu briskets a month. I typically cook the black label but have cooked the gold in the past. I can't tell any difference in cook time on any of them, choice, prime, or wagyu. Every different cut of meat cooks a little different however. I do find that I usually have to go to at least 210 degrees or so before it is probe tender. I always cook fat cap down if my heat source is below the meat. This gives a sacrificial barrier if you will. It is a myth that cooking with the fat cap up bastes the meat as it cooks. It simply runs off the side washing off the rub. However, if I was cooking on a reverse flow offset cooker, I would turn it fat cap up because the heat source is coming across the top in that situation.
    Thank you!! 
    Joey B
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I have never smoked a brisket too 210? Is this a typo? For me choice to 201/203 and SRF Gold to 190/193 until it probed like butter. Is taking it to 210 in your opinion better?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can shorten cooking time by separating point from flat, putting the point on an upper rack. It will get done sooner than the flat. My last one, 14.5 lbs, the point was done in 10 hours at 189*, the flat was done an hour later at 203*. Temp was 235*.

Another benefit to doing this is more crust for burnt ends. The only reason I've ever heard for not separating the muscles for home cooking is "We've always done it this way." But separating them has distinct advantages, and no disadvantages.
  • smokeyw
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I have never smoked a brisket too 210? Is this a typo? For me choice to 201/203 and SRF Gold to 190/193 until it probed like butter. Is taking it to 210 in your opinion better?

I am cooking in competition and have to constantly keep probing it until it is the tenderness I am looking for. I will probably unwrap it and probe it 5 or 6 times before it probes like I want. It is pretty much always around that temperature in the thickest part.
  • JoeyB106
    Options
    Can't wait for tomorrow I'll post as I go 
    Joey B
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Thanks - looking forward to following along!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Its not a typo. I have had plenty finish around 210.  Rarely do I get anything to finish before 203. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JoeyB106
    Options
    Started at 4 am. We are 7 hours in and the meat is holding at 170. Has anyone hit the stall in the 170s?? 
    Joey B
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,340
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Give this thread a read when you have time-covers everything you will need to know and more regarding brisket cooks:
    Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

If you want more "professional" reading, here are a few good links:
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html 

All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    Yeah, I've cooked a few, as have a good many others here. Watch it, it can cook faster than choice and also finish at a lower internal temp. I usually start checking for tenderness around 185*. Had one finish at 187*.
    I hear this a lot. But I have now cooked about 12 and never had this experience. They have cooked very similarly to the CAB Prime I usually cook.  The one in NC I pulled at 200 and it wasn't fully rendered.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    DMW said:
    I hear this a lot. But I have now cooked about 12 and never had this experience. They have cooked very similarly to the CAB Prime I usually cook.  The one in NC I pulled at 200 and it wasn't fully rendered.
    I've never had a SRF go over 190F. I've pulled Golds in the low 180's. I do wet age for three-four weeks so that might make a difference. 
  • JoeyB106
    Options

Getting there!!! 177. And slowly coming up. She looks so beautiful. Lol 
    Joey B
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    You have Prime to compare to. I'm lucky to find Choice. I'm guessing the difference between Prime and Wagyu isn't the same as Choice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    JoeyB106 said:

Getting there!!! 177. And slowly coming up. She looks so beautiful. Lol 

• JoeyB106
    Options

This is was totally amazing!!!! 8 people ate it all!! 
    Joey B
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    That's a thing of beauty right there!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    JoeyB106 said:

This is was totally amazing!!!! 8 people ate it all!! 
    Congrats brother!  Looks terrific.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smokeyw
    Options
    When properly cooked, a pencil thickness slice of brisket should drape across your finger like a totally limp dish rag but should not fall apart. Just another doneness reference.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    You have Prime to compare to. I'm lucky to find Choice. I'm guessing the difference between Prime and Wagyu isn't the same as Choice.
    I probably cook hotter too
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    JoeyB106 said:
    Might be just personal preference, but I've had good results removing that membrane.  Looks like you prefer to cook it off...