Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are these good knives

Options

The ratings on Amazon seem good.  Is the set worth $40? 

https://home.woot.com/offers/zhen-japanese-steel-4-piece-knife-set-3?ref=w_cnt_gw_zlm_bs_2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I have no knowledge of those knives but if they have good reviews, for that price I don't think you can beat it.  I don't know what your main kitchen knives are now but if you sense these will fill a void then I would go for it.  
    BTW-easy for me to help spend your money.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I have no knowledge of those knives but if they have good reviews, for that price I don't think you can beat it.  I don't know what your main kitchen knives are now but if you sense these will fill a void then I would go for it.  
    BTW-easy for me to help spend your money.

Money was already spent when I posted the link.  We'll see when they arrive how good they are.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Give the forum an update once you have used them some---I have seen single knives that were supposed to be "great" go for over $100 so a set of 4 for $40 is probably a great deal if they are indeed a decent quality
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The steel used is good. Given the HRC rating, it was given a good heat treatment. There are some 440C knives that have been made a little harder, but none that I know of near the price. Myself, don't like metal handles, but they will be easy to clean.

Most knife nuts never trust blades "Out Of The Box," and often assume sharpening is needed. Try slicing some printer/letter paper edgewise. If it doesn't cut easily, they need some honing at least. Really good 440C knives will slice skin before one even notices.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    @nolaegghead posted about them a while back.  Maybe he will chime in.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like Zhen because they're cheap for what you get.  Not familiar with these.  Many of their knives are VG10 core - just like Shun - and those are the ones I have.  

What's a good knife?  A sharp knife. The most exotic, expensive knife on the planet isn't a good knife if it's dull.  I like my knives like I like my friends.
    Options
    ... I like my knives like I like my friends.
    Fat and hungry?  I'm your friend!

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.