Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waldkorn bread on MiniMax

Options
My first bread! Came out good, just bit black at bottom. Any thoughts for that? setup was platesetter leggs down, woo, rvs grid, pizzastone.

BGE MiniMax Rocks!

Comments

• DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options
    Some pictures as well
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    I want to inhale and smell the bread!  This is my next project . . . bread on the egg.  I'm curious to see what feedback/advice you get. 

It looks good to me!  How does it taste?
  • DutchMiniMax
    Options
    The taste is very good nice structure and not dry, for sure will do this again
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @DutchMiniMax: Looks awesome. Did you use a DO or cook directly on the stone? Would greatly appreciate if you could pls share the recipe, as I was hoping to do bread tomorrow and it looks like I'll be doing so on the MM. Thanks!
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Legs up, spacers for stone. Looks great tho...I haven't tried bread yet. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks good from where I'm sitting.  @NPHuskerFL has been knocking out some good looking breads and messing around with sourdough lately.  I'm sure he could help you out.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thanks @YEMTrey I'm by no means an expert. Each type of bread is different. That said, I always make an air gap between the PS & stone just like I do on Zas. In addition a small CI pan preheated with the PS & stone. Then, just as you put the turn the dough onto the stone, add water to your pan. The added steam will help with oven spring. Good looking loaf. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DutchMiniMax
    Options
    I will see to try with the water next time, I already created extra space by using the Woo
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • DutchMiniMax
    Options
    For the receipt, I used a ready to go package meaning only adding water and yes I put it directly on the stone, not sure what you mean with "DO"
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    For the receipt, I used a ready to go package meaning only adding water and yes I put it directly on the stone, not sure what you mean with "DO"
    DO typically means Dutch Oven. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DutchMiniMax
    Options
    Ah yes, that reminds me, thnx!
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    The problem I have, and looks like the same problem here with the burnt bottom, is the MiniMax gets too hot on the bottom for bread, maybe starting on a cold pizza stone would help or a shallow water pan.  I moved my bread making to the Large because of this problem.

Maybe the MiniMax pizza makers can help with how to cool the bottom a little.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DutchMiniMax
    Options
    I think I will lower the temperature a bit next time and use shallow water pan, the point is there is not much space to raise it further into the dome so that is not an option.
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @DutchMiniMax - your bread looks as though it needs some water spraying on the dough before it gets loads into the MM. Also what temp are you cooking at? What was your dough hydration (ratio of water to dry ingredients)?

This does intrigue me. I've been cooking bread in our LBGE for some time, mostly after cooking pizza on the warm pizza stone as the BGE cools down to make use of the heat energy and also to maximise oven spring (important). Setup is PS legs up, grid and pizza stone raised into the dome on fire bricks. Never had a problem with burnt bases or needed a water pan, although I do generously spray the dough before putting it into the BGE to allow for oven spring. Dough is proved on baking parchment and then loaded onto the pizza stone, with the parchment removed after 10 mins. Pictures below are doing it in an oven but you get the idea.

I'll try it on the MM using the same method this weekend and see what happens, we due to make a pizza in the MM anyway. This includes ensuring that the temp gauge is pushed out with the cork method so it doesn't skewer the bread as it rises.

This is a picture of a 500g I cooked in a large

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------