Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: some skills once learned never lost - rusty? maybe not!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
It has been nearly 12 years since I retired and the last time I wore a suit and tie. Tomorrow my wife and I are having our picture taken for our 50th wedding anniversary announcement next month. Today just to make sure I still know how to tie my tie I did a practice run and got it right the first time! Key to it was not to think what I was doing, but just mindlessly tie it. Now if I can just remember why I got dressed up tomorrow... :o=)  
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Congrats to you both. That takes work to make it that many years. Well done. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Congratulations on 50!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Congrats Ron!!!  I agree on the suit thing. I retired 5 yrs ago and have only wore a suit to 2 funerals. And only because I was honored to be a pallbearer. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I work from home these days- shorts and t shirt most days.  When I travel dress up is slacks and jacket almost never a tie.  But youre right I can do it without looking at a mirror if I just mindlessly do it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Congratulations on the 50th. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    mine still has the knot in it i tied back 35 years ago, are the small tight knots still in style =) still wearing the same suit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited July 2016
    mine still has the knot in it i tied back 35 years ago, are the small tight knots still in style =) still wearing the same suit
    That's impressive! Mine from a few years ago is starting to shrink. :o
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Congrats Ron!  I'm not ashamed to admit that I can only tie a tie while watching/looking at online tutorials.  Never had to wear a tie so never really learned.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP
    Congrats on the Big 50 ole buddy. Believe this or not, but in 54 years I had never put on a suit until last week. No bull$hit. Think I might cook a brisket wearing it =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    WeberWho said:
    That's impressive! Mine from a few years ago is starting to shrink. :o
    the weirdest thing is tight suits seem to be in style now. ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Congrats on the Big 50 ole buddy. Believe this or not, but in 54 years I had never put on a suit until last week. No bull$hit. Think I might cook a brisket wearing it =)

By golly you cleaned up pretty good! What was the occasion?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    He looks like a politician--he must be moonlighting for Hillary
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2016
    RRP said:
    By golly you cleaned up pretty good! What was the occasion?
    Thank you buddy. I was shopping for some real estate on St. Kitts. Been thinking pretty seriously about buying me a place down there just to get away during the summer. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited July 2016
    SGH said:
    @RRP

@SGH - I can see why you would need a suit at those places. If you had Ron's money you could just buy the island...................... Sorry Ron but someone had too.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Congratulations @RRP. 50 is pretty impressive.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Great Job on the 50 you two! Congratulation!!!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Congrats on your 50th Ron.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Damn @SGH Scottie kind of makes you look like a Federal guy!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Congrats Ron! She's obviously one hell of a woman! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Congrats Ron. Celebrating 30 next month (assuming I don't mess it up). You are a fortunate man to have a partner in life reaching this milestone. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Wonderful to hear!!  Way to rare in today's world - my parents made it to 63 and I'm proud to be at 30 with the goal of making it to the end!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Congratulations Ron!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Congrats Ron!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Ron- congrats to you and your bride on the 50 years.  Quite an accomplishment these days and nice to see some fellow high school sweethearts hanging in for the long haul. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Congrats to Pat, for putting up with your a$$ for so long.   =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Congratulations Ron and to your wife!! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Hearty congratulations on that milestone.  With the tie tying drill-I'll bet you didn't worry about the relative lengths of the tie when finished.  Covering that is the job of the suit jacket.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Congrats Ron and SO!  

Nice that you can still tie your tie, but did you check if your pants still fit?  A warning from someone younger than you, but just barely (and whose pants... don't... fit).   :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure