Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock with ribs question

Options
hey all! Newbie here and I'm cooking for only my second time on a large bge. The question I'm having is that I'm doing 3 racks of ribs around 250 but I'm also wanting to do a spatchcock chicken. I want it smoked as well but not rubbery...my ribs have been on for 3 hours, just got done wrapping them in some foil. I just put the chicken on a raised grid above the ribs. Do you think this is an ok temp for the chicken? I was thinking maybe 3 hours at this temp, ribs will be off so then I can take them off and bump the temp to about 350 for another hour for the chicken? Does this sound like too much? (3hrs at 250 and 1hr at 350)

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I wouldn't want chicken dripping onto my ribs.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Sounds like a long time. Just cook it where it's at and when the ribs are done crank the temp up and grill direct to finish
  • FyreGuy295
    Options
    Thanks Cheeaa that's what I was thinking. Didn't know if that was too long or not. I've smoked chicken for about that amount of time at the same temp and it did well but didn't know if upping the temp was a good idea or not though. The ribs are wrapped in foil though so I would expect they are safe, they're in a rib rack too so whatever drips on the foil will continue through to the drip pan I would assume...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Chicken doesn't take long to cook, hour to 1.5 at tops.  I do chicken from 275 for 45 minutes then get the egg up to 350 - 400 for 15 to 20 minutes to finish.  I also brine my chicken ahead time.  Now I would only leave the ribs in foil for and hour.  3 hours in foil and they will be mush.  After an hour in foil put back on grill to firm for 30 minutes and glaze with sauce for last 30.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • FyreGuy295
    Options
    Good call Ladeback. I checked at 2 hours and the chicken was right on the money. Bumped it up to 350 for just about 10 minutes is all. Turned out great!