Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If I ... & Would it?

Options
If I  have 3 pork shoulders all around the same size weight but only have 1 meat probe using a flameboss 100 on a large egg at 230 degrees using a swing grate for 1 of the shoulders so it would be higher in the dome....  Would it all be done to the same doneness at the same time??

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I say butts are butts! and usually none of them cook the same, I did 3 yesterday and one was done just a little sooner than the other two. All 3 were 205 internal when I FTC them and after only a 40 minute rest in cooler one was much easer to pull than the other two. Now I'm not beating on my own drum but it was gone in no time at a good friends 50th birthday party. Butts are done when they are done.......... very easy cook and very forgiving too, they just don't care what temp you cook them at but they are done when they are done regardless of how long we think they should cook. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Each piece of meat is different regardless of weight. They may be done at the same time but probably not and may be off from each other by as much as 2 hrs if they are 8 lbrs.  I know this.  And the one higher is probably going to be done fastest if identical weight.  Probably, but certainly not "for sure".
    I would put the probe in the smallest and the smallest in the bottom and start tracing tips for each piece when the probed one hit about 160 just to get the delta between them and plan for at least a 2 hr difference if going at about 250-275 dome. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Only is one train is heading East at 40MPH and another is heading West at 45MPH.  ;)
    New Albany, Ohio