Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Smoke" flavor?

2»

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    If she doesn't want any smoke taste oven or pan sear it - most people cook over charcoal b/c they like the flavor it imparts... 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Kamado Joe lump is a very neutral lump from Argentina that's more dense and more neutral than Rockwood lump.  There was a lot of research done on the design of the bag and the processing of the lump.  

It's another great choice if you have some one with a smoke sensitivity.  
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Divorce. ...no one needs that kind of negativity in their life.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I only tried one bag of Kamado Joe and while I would gladly use it again, I wouldn't describe my experience with it as more neutral.
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    This may not make a difference, but I would also suggest changing shirts after taking the food off the BGE. I know after starting and cooking on the BGE if I linger long enough my clothes can smell very smokey. The less you smell like smoke might impact how much smoke she tastes in the food.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    @Charcoal_Addict my experience was different than yours with kj lump, I thought it was smokey,  but probably was an outlier considering all the praise I see for kj lump on the forum, that being said... My experience was that the butts I cooked with kj lump tasted over smoked - I'd give it another chance and buy it again, but only b/c of the posts I've read here praising it. 

That at being said @theyolksonyou recommendations for  rockwood is what my experience would agree with, the most neutral I've ever tried
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I agree with mostly what @Darby_Crenshaw says.  I do recommend trying a different lump as I still think some burn a little cleaner. Could just be my imagination. 

With that said, no matter what lump I use, if I am baking on my egg I make sure the lump has already been used from the previous cook. That way it really imparts very very minimal flavor. 

If if its new lump and its some type of beef you're cooking it's harder to notice. If it's poultry you can notice the flavor a lot more in my tastes at least. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    I think it has a lot to do with waiting for the VOC's to clear after you light the fire. If you want less smoke flavor, wait until the air is clear coming out of the top of the egg
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    You can have the cleanest burning fire from pure diamond, but as soon as that salmon or chicken starts dripping fat into the fire, you will get smoke flavouring your food. Your wife may well be objecting to this smoke, in which case you should either try a few indirect cooks, or reduce the amount of lump you are putting in your Egg so that when the fat starts to drip it has a greater likelihood of either missing the lump or hitting burning lump and burning off immediately. When I was new to the Egg my worst cooks were chicken cooked direct over a large load of lump. I soon learned that my favourite way to cook chicken was up high, and direct over a small fire.
  • Hans61 said:
    @Charcoal_Addict my experience was different than yours with kj lump, I thought it was smokey,  but probably was an outlier considering all the praise I see for kj lump on the forum, that being said... My experience was that the butts I cooked with kj lump tasted over smoked - I'd give it another chance and buy it again, but only b/c of the posts I've read here praising it. 

That at being said @theyolksonyou recommendations for  rockwood is what my experience would agree with, the most neutral I've ever tried
    It depends when you pruchase the lump.  KJ switched sources for their restaurant grade lump in September of 2015.   The new red bag lump is different source than what they were using over a year ago.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Tony_T said:

I can taste propane when I use my little Coleman has grill no mater how low I have the flame set.  I rather taste wood smoke.

As to Smokey flavor it is going to have some smoke flavor and if had previously smoker a pork butt you will need to let the burn off some or your fish is going to taste a little like it.  I like smoke salmon on the egg and that is about the only way I like it or my wife.  I too only use Rockwood.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.