Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best dang steak ever cooked off the Egg

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
So shoot me, I didn't use the Egg tonight.  Local butcher had some nice looking Prime bone in ribeyes.  Total weight for 2 steaks was 2 2/3 pounds.  Vac sealed and into the Sous Vide for just under 2 hours at 134.  Using my little butane camp stove (I know, I could have used the Egg, but it's hot out and this was easy) I got the CI smoking hot.  Seasoned heavily with Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish spice (it's not just for fish) and into the CI for 2 minutes a side.  These turned out perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned, cut it with a fork, melt in your mouth delicious. I didn't get a plated pic, but I did manage to snap one of what was left over before my son and I sucked the bones clean. 

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Yes sir!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    Hot CI for the win.  However you get there is all that matters.  Great result.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Looks great. My experience with Sous Vide has been less than steller. Technically the steaks I have done have been cooked to perfection, however they are lacking in flavor that I get cooking the steak entirely on the egg.

Maybe the secret is seasoning that you used. I will try it your way next time.
    Your looks great........
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great. My favorite part of bone-in ribeyes is chewing on the bones.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    DMW said:
    Without a doubt, there's some serious flavor there.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The bone is the sweetest part of the steak.....and one I always work on when finished. I don't give a d@mn if I am in the nicest restaurant in the world....I am going to pick it up and work the bone. Nice job.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look great TJ.  If I am cooking sous vide with a cast iron finish I don't bother lighting the egg either. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    My wife looks at me oddly when we do bone-in items and I gnaw on the bone.  I thought she thought it was hot, but apparently it's another item that I gross her out about.   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    DMW said:

I think this may be a first that I agree with DMW!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    There's more than one way to skin a cat, I like the looks of those steaks and bones... I'm not "in" on this inside joke, but maybe you should've posted a dirty fork pic too..... maybe????
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great looking steaks.  I have never used the red fish on steaks before, but I do like the blackened steak magic on steaks and burgers.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    I did the same thing a couple of months ago only I seasoned with SP while in the SV and then seared on the egg......it was great
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Now, that's a double-drooler!     :bow:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Looking good. Love that CI for searing.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC