Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone vs Camp Chef griddle top for Explorer 2

I've wanted a huge griddle top forever and I mostly like what I see on the Blackstone. We also have a Camp Chef Explorer with 2 burners ( the round burners). I could just buy the full sized griddle for it, but I'm wondering if the Blackstone heats more evenly without the typical cooler spot in the middle since it has a different burner/flame configuration. 

Can anyone help me out regarding how even the temperature is on the Blackstone griddle? 
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    I can answer your questions from both points as I have owned both griddles.

I bought the camp chef for traveling in the RV.  When I am at home I put it on the back deck with my grills.  The round burners do very much create hot spots and uneven cooking.  I was constantly having to adjust the heat and move things around.

Then I bought the Blackstone for my outdoor kitchen.  Firstly, the cooking area is vastly greater that the CC.  There is very little in the way of hot spots and I am still working with the regulator that it came with and not the upgrade that has been strongly suggested here on the forum.  When I cook with mine I am constantly checking the temps with the IR gun and find minor 5-10 degree differences from end to end and front to back.

The Blackstone in my experience, cooks so much better than the CC that I gave my CC away for no money, and it wasn't that old.

Just my two cents and hope it helps,
    Sonny
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Brddog
    Brddog Posts: 18
    I cannot comment on the Blackstone, but I received a Camp Chef griddle for my Camp Chef 2 burner Explorer stove two weeks ago and absolutely love it!!!  It definitely has a cooler spot in the middle of the two burners as you highlight, but I have not found that to be a problem. I simply use that area for slower cooking items and/or to hold food while the rest finishes. At this point I have mine seasoned where nothing sticks and I have cooked pancakes, burgers, scrambled eggs, chicken breasts, shrimp, bacon, eggs over easy, quesadillas, hot ham and cheese sandwiches.  One recommendation would be to buy the accessory grease cup. A can does not do the job as the grease tends to go one direction or another when leaving the trough. Clean up is a cinch. 

I am am sure the Blackstone is excellent, but I am beyond happy with this griddle considering I already had the burners.  I wish I would have bought one years ago. 
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Sonny3 this is just the info I was looking for. I'll still keep my Camp Chef for canning outside. The Blackstone sounds perfect then, because I don't want to deal with uneven cooking and cooler spots. I basically quit using my stove top double burner griddle for the exact same reason. I don't want to jockey food around so it cooks evenly. 

Brddog, thanks for the reply. I'm glad you're happy with your camp chef. I still think mine will be useful for canning outside so I don't heat up the house and also as a side burner for pots. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Hi Angela.   I assume you are referring to the 36" blackstone.  I've had mine about a year and continue to love it.  It is probably my favorite cooking appliance, ah, who am I kidding... I could never choose.  

I've never tried to have even cooking though.  I always graduate my burners so that I can move food around.  I think the back corners are not as hot, based upon seasoning only.

Phoenix 
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    I showed the Blackstone to my husband and he loved it. I ordered one and it will be here next week. Thanks for everyone help.