Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glazing and warranty question...

Options
I've had my LBGE in a Nest since I bought it in January of 2015.  I recently built a table for its new home, and today was moving day.  

The trouble arose while trying to remove the Egg from its Nest.  The little rubber "pads" that are supposed to protect the exterior from the metal had melted to the Egg.

This made removal extremely difficult. Once I was able to get the Egg free, as you can see, some of the glazing came off with the hardened rubber.

Is this something that would be covered by the warranty? Or is it something I'm going to have to live with? It wouldn't be an issue for me, except that it's on the front of the Egg...

Any advise would be appreciated...

Oh, here's a picture of the it's new home...

Comments

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    My guess is that because it does not effect the functionality of the Egg it will not be covered by the warranty 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would submit the photos to your dealer without the narrative. Just tell them the glazing failed. 
  • Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Hit it with some green touch up paint and call it a day.  You'll forget it was even there.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    This would bother me too. If I was in your situation, is contact the dealer to inquire about warranty and, failing that, buy some touch up paint. Think of it like you would the first scratch in a new car - in some ways, getting it out of the way is a relief.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Golfguy77 said:
    Hit it with some green touch up paint and call it a day.  You'll forget it was even there.
    I'd also be inclined to hit it with a dab of touch up paint rather than having to hassle with the taking apart and reassembling of an Egg for such a minor cosmetic boo-boo.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    I also would just use some touch up paint.  (Sometimes trying to fix with a new base leaves you with a lid that has an over/under bite)
  • swcham
    swcham Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll grab some touch up paint and forget about it...still cooks great food! 

Our play on Outback's Alice Springs Chicken tonight...
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    swcham said:
    Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll grab some touch up paint and forget about it...still cooks great food! 

You got a recipe for that you don't mind sharing? That looks REALLY good....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    yljkt said:
    swcham said:

As always, Google is your friend - http://www.centercutcook.com/alice-springs-chicken-outback-steakhouse-copycat/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Ask the dealer ... until then keep egging on.  It will eventually crack.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Totally covered. Same thing happened to my medium egg.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    My guess is that because it does not effect the functionality of the Egg it will not be covered by the warranty 
    Incorrect. It is covered. 

Remember the saying "Closed mouths don't get fed".
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ask the dealer ... until then keep egging on.  It will eventually crack.
    Agreed, he should consider letting the dealer know, but that won't/shouldn't cause a crack (looks too shallow).

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    I would get it replaced in a nano second. I like things to be the way they were meant to be for as long as possible. To me that's like buying a new car and six months later have a chunk of paint peel off the hood and saying oh well the car still functions like it's supposed to and it's a hassle to take it to the dealer.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    My XL had a chip in the glaze and I contacted my dealer who got some touch up paint from BGE. That was in early spring. Last week when cleaning the outside of my egg I noticed I now have a hairline crack that runs completely across the bottom and up the backside. Time to get with my dealer again. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • swcham
    Options
    yljkt said:
    swcham said:

Thanks! Didn't really use a recipe, my wife loves the Alice Springs Chicken, but I've honestly never ordered it, rarely even go to Outback...suggested making grilled chicken with bacon and Colby jack cheese, she said add some mushrooms and get some honey mustard at the store...apparently that's all there is to it!

Sprinkled some Dizzy Dust on the bird, cooked the bacon, roasted the mushrooms in bacon fat (in a dish in the oven cause I'm lazy), put it all together and smothered it with cheese, 5 minutes under the broiler and done...
  • swcham
    Options
    And thanks again for all the warranty suggestions everyone, my firebox and fire ring are both cracked, so I'll mention the glazing to the dealer when I go see them about those pieces...I've got pics of everything, so they should take care of me...
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited April 2022
    Options
    swcham said:
    And thanks again for all the warranty suggestions everyone, my firebox and fire ring are both cracked, so I'll mention the glazing to the dealer when I go see them about those pieces...I've got pics of everything, so they should take care of me...
    Did they cover the base @swcham ?  I know this is an old post.  This topic has resurfaced. @Ozzie_Isaac
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    If you are in need… do a clean burn. Odds are you will create a warrantable event.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    swcham said:
    Did they cover the base @swcham ?  I know this is an old post.  This topic has resurfaced. @Ozzie_Isaac
    This is my exact issue!  And they denied my warranty claim.  I will take my own advice from 2016 ... It will eventually crack.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I think you should ask for an entirely brand new XL BGE! LOL.

That should be covered ... a BGE product on a BGE product ... not your fault!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i had a little piece flake off my small, no problem getting it replaced

Second hand egg  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking  Experience

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options

Second hand egg  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking  Experience

That's just a flesh wound.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

Four or six cases of nail polish, she'll be good as new!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    It looks like he was making that bread they throw on the hot sides of an oven 
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    How hot are you running your eggs?
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Hansm said:

on my small i believe it got frostbite during a freeze/thaw/freeze spell.  my small couldnt tip the therm past 700f. it actually never cracked thru and the piece that came off was about half the thickness of the base. never seen another one ever posted anywhere that did this
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Hansm said:

on my small i believe it got frostbite during a freeze/thaw/freeze spell.  my small couldnt tip the therm past 700f. it actually never cracked thru and the piece that came off was about half the thickness of the base. never seen another one ever posted anywhere that did this
    I think it’s pretty clear that your life is full of unique events.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hansm said:

I think it’s pretty clear that your life is full of unique events.

have heard it termed lots of ways but never unique. its usually followed by head shakes
    fukahwee maine

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Interesting that this thread about damaged eggs was resurrected on Easter Weekend.