Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poblano ABT ???

Options
Went to the store this morning and they were out of Jalepenos. I picked up some smaller Poblanos instead. Will these things be edible if i just do them like a Jalepeno ABT ? I really don't want to roast and peel them if I don't have to......
More meat please !! :-)

Comments

• Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    Absolutely. They will be fine. Fire them up!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    If you're a "hotter is better" kinda ABT person, the Poblano will be very mild in comparison to a jalepeno.  Most recipes I've see for Poblanos start with scorching the skin and peeling.  I haven't tried Poblano any other way but hey, it's worth a shot, right?

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I guess i will find out tomorrow morning . I'm going to put them on while I am rendering the fat out of some sweet Italian sausage ,that i'm going to use for pizza :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I've used poblanos many times for ABT's. They work great.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'm doing some like that in a few hours to go with some burgers. Everyone loves them. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You sure they are poblanos and not serranos?  Reason I ask is that I am used to poblanos being quite a bit larger than jalas and serranos on the smaller side.  I'm sure they were labeled but if somehow switched the scoville rating for serranos is much higher than jalas or poblanos.
    And @XLentEGG -  you may have an indicator even before the AM.  Regardless, all good so enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You sure they are poblanos and not serranos?  
    This just made my insides hurt. That would be a rough mistake. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Poblano skin is tough. I would either blanch or blister the skin. Poblanos are lower on the Scoville scale than japs, but i have run across a few hot ones. 
    You could also make  rellanos poppers by stuffing the peper with cooked bacon, cream cheese and cheddar cheese. (Or whatever strikes your fancy). 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx