Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new (for me) source for Tri-Tip in the Lancaster, PA area

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
I was at the Green Dragon Farmer's Market in Ephrata, PA, today. This market is open each Friday all year and is a great place to visit for produce, meats, and flea market stuff.  I stopped to look at the King's Fresh Meats Market and saw they had Tri-Tip for $5.99/pound.  The only place I had seen this cut in our area was at the Stauffer's market in Lancaster and they don't always have it.  I wanted 2 of them, so they took out a new cryovac package and cut me a second Tri-Tip. They did a very good job of trimming.

Their sign said that they are also at the Meadowbrook Farmer's market in Leola, PA. I've never been there, but I Googled them and found out that the market is supposedly open Thursday through Saturday.  I'll have to check them out when I am in that area.
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Thanks @Shiff! I was looking for Tri-Tip the other day & couldn't find any at Stauffer's. I'll have to go to Green Dragon or Meadowbrook. 

Let me know how yours turn out. Happy 4th!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    The green dragon... On the BGE forum.  :open_mouth:   Usually when I go I get the produce.  Never got meat there.  

Green dragon.....  Never thought I would see that on here. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Shiff
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    The green dragon... On the BGE forum.  :open_mouth:   Usually when I go I get the produce.  Never got meat there.  

Green dragon.....  Never thought I would see that on here. 
    I've also never bought meat there but it always looks good.  The Tri-tip is currently in the freezer but will probably have it next week some time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Moving way off target here.....and why you Pennsylvania folks are reading this.....Some may remember Steve Tannyhill (former SC football player from PA), he has purchased an old college bar here in Columbia. Its quite the news story down here......but then not much else is going on right now. http://www.free-times.com/blogs/quite-a-pair-steve-taneyhill-buys-group-therapy0630
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Shiff
    Options
    Getting back to the subject of this thread - Here are the phone numbers listed on their sign for their 2 locations.  Green Dragon: They are in building 1 and the phone number is 717-738-6087.  Meadowbrook: 717-656-2220
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Moving way off target here.....and why you Pennsylvania folks are reading this.....Some may remember Steve Tannyhill (former SC football player from PA), he has purchased an old college bar here in Columbia. Its quite the news story down here......but then not much else is going on right now. http://www.free-times.com/blogs/quite-a-pair-steve-taneyhill-buys-group-therapy0630
    He was from altoona, I grew up in a neighboring town so I followed his whole career.  Him and Mike Izolino were huge sports figures for me at the time.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I will have to check out the place someday. I had a service call today at the Rockvale Outlets. The Green Dragon in not that far away from there.
  • Shiff
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I will have to check out the place someday. I had a service call today at the Rockvale Outlets. The Green Dragon in not that far away from there.
    Probably 45 minutes. Meadowbrook market would probably be closer. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Options
    Just to update this information and save people some time - it looks like the Meadowbrook Farmer's market has been closed for many years.  This was my assumption since we hadn't seen it mentioned for years.  The sign at Green Dragon for King's Fresh Meats is old and they haven't bothered to update it.  The only source for Kings Fresh Meats is at Green Dragon on Fridays in building 1.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Finally had a Friday evening without plans. It's probably been 14 years since I last had been there. FYI, it's up to $6.99/lb. Also, they have last weeks leftovers frozen, wrapped, and marked down 10%.
    Brought this one home to cook this weekend.

And a frozen one for the freezer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Shiff
    Options
    @dmw, thanks for the additional info.  I'll have to ask about last week's tri-tips the next time I'm there.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA