Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overcooking burgers lately

OK dumb question because I can see responses coming like " well don't cook them so much. That is exactly like something I would say if I saw this post. I like them medium rare so if anyone has any suggestions to improve my burgers I'd love to hear them. I read somewhere to put some shaved ice in the middle of the patty. That sounds like it has some merit, but let me know. Firing up the grill as we speak. As always, thank you so much for any replies.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    "Lately" implies a change in the method

it isnt possible to overcook any food, unless you leave it on too long. 

Seriously
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    The sure fire way to hit your target is to acquire an instant read thermo-the Thermapen is the instrument of choice here and with many chefs.  A little pricy on the front end but will ensure you nail any hot and fast cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    I've gone through a couple of Thermopens that I left on the table and the rain got them. They are in my desk to send in for repairs. In the meantime I'm using a big green egg digital. As expensive as it was I assumed it was probably made by Thermopens but it doesn't seem to work as well. In fact I'll stick it in a steak or something and it'll peak and then start dropping.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    "Lately" implies a change in the method

it isnt possible to overcook any food, unless you leave it on too long. 

Seriously
    I know but I really don't think I'm doing anything differently so confusion reigns

Ronald Reagan

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    I do ½ pound burgers @ 450° 4 min/side 
    (Not a "smashburger)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2016
    how about starting out by telling us what dome temperature and how long are you cooking them since you don't seem to be relying on internal temp measurement. Also have you calibrated your dome thermometer lately?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dawgtired
    600 but I do try and rely on internal temp. Hence the two Tonopens and the BGE digital which may be the problem. Not sure I trust it very much. Yes I just cooked ribs and I always calibrate the dome thermometer before I do low and slow cooks

Ronald Reagan

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    youre gonna think im crazy, but,  FREEZE your patties,  put them on hot grill frozen, flip when crust forms, pull off when crust forms underneath and u will have pefect pink centers, juicy burgers and nice char crust on outside.   
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Dawgtired said:
    600 but I do try and rely on internal temp. Hence the two Tonopens and the BGE digital which may be the problem. Not sure I trust it very much. Yes I just cooked ribs and I always calibrate the dome thermometer before I do low and slow cooks
    Well for rule of thumb - just like last night's 1/3 pound burgers which were 80/20 ground chuck I stabilized my dome to 375º. Then egged them for 4/4/2 with that final 2 being to melt a thick piece of cheese. 600º sounds awfully high, but then you never mentioned time either.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dawgtired
    youre gonna think im crazy, but,  FREEZE your patties,  put them on hot grill frozen, flip when crust forms, pull off when crust forms underneath and u will have pefect pink centers, juicy burgers and nice char crust on outside.   
    I may try that. Sounds like something along the same lines as ice chips in the middle of the patty. How thick are yours?

Ronald Reagan

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I usually have them just under 1" thick
  • Tony_T
    600° too high for burgers.
    (not smashburgers)
  • Dawgtired
    Tony_T said:
    (not smashburgers)
    So what do you recommend? Do you use a raised grid?

Ronald Reagan

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I do mine at 400-450 raised grid.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited June 2016
    Yep. 600 makes to small of a window. I do mine at 450. No top damper. Right before I put them on I close the bottom damper enough to stop flare ups. Then 4ish minutes a side depending on size. 

Oh and I forgot I'm doing raised direct 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    disagree that 600 is too high. You can get great results that high, but as mentioned, the window is short. If you're using a rub, it will burn at that temp, but all good with just s&p
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Agree with @bclarksicle - I prefer high temp sears for my hamburgers to get a good crust but only with S&P. You could try to make your patties a little thicker or chill them prior to grilling  
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    I do about 4 minutes a side at 450 degrees for about a one third pound weight.  If you want them rarer, probably need to be 3 or 3.5 minutes a side.
  • Tony_T
    edited June 2016
    Dawgtired said:
    Tony_T said:
    (not smashburgers)
    So what do you recommend? Do you use a raised grid?
    I don't use a raised grid.  I do ½ pound burgers (about an inch thick) @ 450° 4 min/side and it's fully cooked (and juicy with an 80/20 mix).  For rare, 3min/side.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I treat them like a steak.  Raised indirect at about 250.  Then give them a crust on some very hot cast iron.  Easier to contol finished temp with a thicker burger.

Phoenix 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    blasting said:

I treat them like a steak.  Raised indirect at about 250.  Then give them a crust on some very hot cast iron.  Easier to contol finished temp with a thicker burger.

+1 can also SV or 250 low in oven, then sear.
    canuckland
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
    edited June 2016
    I've never had a problem with getting consistently good burgers. I like to keep it simple.
    • 73-80% lean ground meat
    • Lightly formed to size
    • Thumb print in the middle
    • I like Montreal steak seasoning or meat church holy cow
    • Cook 450-550
    • 4 minutes a side 
    • Always try at least 2 different slice of cheese. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I made burgers for 25 people yesterday at our annual neighborhood get together. I have a secret:

I cook burgers at 250º dome.  Slap them on, close the lid. Wait a little while, take a peek. 

If there's blood pooling on top, take them off and rest them as they are, that blood will absorb back in. When the tops are dry again, put them back on, raw side down.

Take them off after a minute or two. They'll be rare, around 120º internal. Set them on a plate and let them sit there for a few more minutes. Open the bottom vent halfway or more to get a lively fire under the grate.

Once they're rested twice, and the dome temp is somewhere over 400º, put them back to crisp the bottom, (30 seconds, don't close the lid, you don't want the fire to go out) flip and cheese them, then close the lid and set your bottom vent to minimal. When the cheese is melted, (<minute) take their temp. They should be about 135º interior to pull them off.

Pink centers every time, with a decent crust on the bottom and under the cheese.

I do brats at 300º, they seem to take forever, but they don't burn, they don't split, they don't spit hot oil all over the coals. They just brown up and hit the bun all juicy and hot.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    leave the digital gage in the drawer. put burgers on hot grill and flip when the liquid rises, off the egg when it rises again. dont check those burgers with a thermapen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Agree with @fishlessman. I never take internal temp on burgers and they always turn out beautifully. I generally use (eeeek!!) extra-lean ground beef. I mix with eggs, soy, worchesterchire, garlic, onion powder, salt and pep, and a teeny bit of oatmeal (all in guesstimate quantities). I get the grill piping hot and cook about 3-4 mins a side.  
  • Btw, great burger hack - buy more than you need for the meal and wrap any extra individual patties in cellophane. Put all the extras in a freezer-grade ziplock. Any time you need a meal in a hurry, you've got great burgs at the ready that can accommodate groups large or small. One of my fave tricks!
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308

Burgers

• Grilled raised direct 375-400

• 10 min a side +/- depending on % fat

• Cook to 145-160F depending on requested doneness.

• 145 medium rare

• 150 medium to medium well

• Wrap and rest for 10 minutes
    This does great for us every time. I've been using 85/15 and 1lb makes three great medium sized burgers that stay packed nicely.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I do 375-400 flip after 4 min or so, cook to 135.

Johns Creek, Georgia