Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow

Options
stichrunner
stichrunner Posts: 103
2nd cook and its gonna be a low and slow one. These baby's are plastic wrapped and in the fridge for tomorrow. 
New Orleans, Louisiana. 
XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 

Comments

• NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    Options
    Best of luck...  Care to tell us more about your plans?
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • stichrunner
    Options
    Im gonna try and hold about 225 to 235 for 3 hr. Then foil them with a little apple cider and butter and honey drizzled. For about 2 hr. Then unwrap and sauce them and cut the heat back and let them sit for 30 min give or take. Hopefully they taste good cause im on nights tomorrow and have a couple of guys that are already waiting to eat. I get nervous when i cook for other people. But when there eyes roll back in there head there is nothing like it. Oh i have never done this before. The only time i cooked ribs was on my Nepolean gasser and never new to wrap them and they were tough. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Your only problem is using baby backs and not spares

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• stichrunner
    Options
     :s I'm new to the smoking game. Is spare rib the same as St. Louis cause they had those and i had them in my hand but chose the bb's 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Yeah spare and St. Louis is the same. Your fine with baby backs... In my part of the country people only make spares though. Was just messing with ya. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I'm a BB man myself.  Your plan sounds solid and my only suggestion is to allow plenty of time. My ribs "usually" cook in 5-1/2 hours at around 260F with no foiling.  Your lower temp and foil at the end should come out "close" to the same.

I always plan to finish cooks ahead of time...you never know when a onry piece of meat decides to take longer than expected. It can happen. 

FTC will hold the ribs at temp for you for a couple hours (or longer) until your ready to eat.

Good luck and keep a temp/time log for future cooks. Keeping records with damper adjustments, etc, helped me through the learning curve. Now many repeated cooks have become unconscious methods.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• stichrunner
    Options
    Dldawes i hate to sound like a noob but what is FTC. I was actually thinking on cooking them a little early so i could get some rest before work. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • dldawes1
    Options
    FTC...Foil (HDAF = Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil) when you pull off the egg. Then, wrap in Towel, then, put in a Cooler to let meat rest and hold until ready to eat.

Some folks put hot water in the cooler to get a warm start...I never do, just put it in and close the lid.

Everyone has their own method.

I've FTCd ribs for a few hours...no different than when first coming off the egg.  I've FTCd brisket and butts up to 5 hrs.

One difference might be the softening of a crunchy bark. But sometimes we must sacrifice to serve steaming hot food at the right time.

Hope that helped,

Donnie

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Agree with dldawes1 about covering and the rest period...I've always considered the rest part of the cook and allow for additional time on low and slow.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • stichrunner
    Options

Thank yall. Well I have the egg hot and ribs are on. The temp keeps wanting to creep up on me. I decided 250 would be a good number. I have 2 chunks of cherry and one pecan. The cherry smells amazing. I had the lower door open all the way with the screen closed and even with the petals closed it still wanted to creep up on me  i finally close down the bottom door to about a inch and it started turning and coming back down. I purchased the book smoke it like a pro on the recommendation of a buddy who said he follows the temp control method in the book and it works good. That's where i got the idea about wide open btm. 

New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    FWIW, I have a LBGE and find that it doesn't do well around 225 range, but if I go for somewhere in the 250-270 range, no problemo
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • dldawes1
    Options
    rmr62..both my XLs like the 260 area as a low for L&S cooks. Never a problem...they produce the goods !!