Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend cooks

Options
well I've got some big plans for this weekend. After four low cooks to cure the gasket it is time to turn it up. 

Friday - grilling two 1 1/2" inch prime ribeye steaks. I think I may have gotten a little over zealous since this is my first steak cook so I'm really trying to not mess this up. Any advice for the perfect medium-rare is welcome. Also, what seasonings, if any, to put on the steaks. 

Saturday - smoking my first brisket. Prime as well and 12 lbs...I think. Going to do it Franklin's style, so hopefully I can just follow the directions. 

I will update  with pictures and hopefully great reviews. 

Wish me luck. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    There are plenty of options with cooking anything on the BGE and about all with produce great results.  For a brisket cook here's a link to a recent thread that covers about all you need to know and more regarding brisket cooks.  Definitely runs the course-Enjoy the cook and eats.  FWIW-
    Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    My go-to with any "steak" or "chop" is the T-Rex method (basically sear then dwell until finished) but many folks here will advise that you do a reverse sear - cook at a low temp to within ~20 degrees of target temp, take off the steaks, bring the egg to a high temp, then sear quickly (<1 minute per side). 

Can't go wrong with either technique as long as you cook to temp (you do have a thermapen, don't you?) :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options
    Got the thermapen arriving on Friday, just in time. I bought it because everyone on here talks about it. It better be as good as everyone says
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Couldn't cook without my Thermapen.  It's a must have.
    Lanes BBQ Ancho Espresso rub on steaks is really great.  

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Great advice and suggestions above.  I personally reverse sear my steaks and chops...just my preference.

MCR (Mickeys Coffee Rub...search the forum for recipe) is another awesome mocha flavoring rub that I like to use on steaks and chicken.

Also, a finishing butter is great as an added flavor and attraction to a good steak.  I like blue cheese/butter/lemon juice/and pecan. Again, search for recipe.

Brisket..aaaah, nothing beats a brisket for moral support, feeling accomplished, and satisfying the tastebuds.  They really aren't as hard and complicated as it seems. Establishing a cooking routine and finding your own sweet spots are a plus in conquering the brisket.

And finally, yes....on the Thermapen...I use it for something almost every meal...even to check my food when I load up my plate....just to see what each temp feels like at the table !!!!

Welcome and good egging my friend,

Donnie  

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• treydesean
    treydesean Posts: 16
    Options

Somhere is is the result. Going for medium-rare and they came out overdone. The 2nd steak was almost well done, so I have some questions. I used my Thermapen when I took them off the grill and they were about 130. We were waiting on some sides so I wrapped in foil and let rest 15 minutes. Did I rest too long?  Did I wrap the foil too right?  I just can't figure out how and why the thermapen said rare+ and the second steak came out well-done.  

Oh well, on to my brisket today. 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Don't wrap in foil. That extends the carryover cook. I just put on a plate for 5 to ten minutes until carryover cooking stops then cover loosely with foil if you have to.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    You should expect some carry over cooking to begin with and wrapping in foil only added to the carry over cooking. All part of the learning process. Getting consistent results with steaks definitely took some trial and error on my part.
    Stillwater, MN
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Looks good and nothing to be ashamed of!  I'd suggest also trying to find some bigger steaks, the margin of error for steaks that are thin is fairly small!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The pic looks pretty good to me too.

As above, probably carry over cooking. When the outside gets really hot, somewhat charred as the pic shows, the heat will spread into the rest of the meat. If foiled, more so.

I started "hot tubing" steaks several years ago. Later, moved to Sous Vide water baths. Tightly bag the steak w. seasoning, and immerse in water that is a little too hot for dish washing by hand. Temp, about 130. Once the meat is heated thru to rare, then blast it on the Egg. 30 sec/1/2 inch/side. What you had, 3 minutes.

It will need to rest so that some of the liquified proteins can re-gel. Or just have some mashed taters or bread to mop up the juices when you cut in.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    treydesean...did you go reverse sear...or traditional direct cook?

I like reverse sear and then pull off at 115 IT then raise egg temp then sear for about 1.5 minutes per side. I have been getting consistent med rare results.

And...I agree, wrapping in foil after taking off the egg will cause continued cooking.

Hope you got your answers...try it again and tweak your procedure.

You will get it perfect !!!!1

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Reverse sear was kind of scary not to blow a fine prime cut at first...but now the go-to. Damn near fool proof when you get the hang of it. Really not that hard. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    well I've got some big plans for this weekend. After four low cooks to cure the gasket it is time to turn it up. 

Friday - grilling two 1 1/2" inch prime ribeye steaks. I think I may have gotten a little over zealous since this is my first steak cook so I'm really trying to not mess this up. Any advice for the perfect medium-rare is welcome. Also, what seasonings, if any, to put on the steaks. 

Saturday - smoking my first brisket. Prime as well and 12 lbs...I think. Going to do it Franklin's style, so hopefully I can just follow the directions. 

I will update  with pictures and hopefully great reviews. 

Wish me luck. 
    Sorry, but had to laugh at "hopefully I can just follow the directions". That's all any of us can do (and try to do) cooking briskets, and the results still tend to vary wildly!  ;)
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    The pic looked like a nice medium rare to me... I get it, I'm always my own worst critic! Good luck on the brisket!!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf