Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon help

SPRIGS
SPRIGS Posts: 482
I know nothing about cooking it.  Tastes like cat food to me but my wife and kids love it so I am planning to try some this weekend.  Not looking to smoke it as my wife isn't a big fan of smoke.  Just looking to grill.  Direct or indirect?  What temp?  Pull at 130 or so?  Do I flip it at all or just cook skin side down?

Thanks everyone.
XL BGE

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited June 2016
    Does it have the skin on or off?

This is one of my favorites on salmon. http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/raging-river/

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I haven't bought it yet but I think the store sells both.  I was planning to get skin on as I was planning to grill it skin side down in hopes it comes off in one piece.
    XL BGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The quality of fish is really important. My wife "officially" hates fish. Which is to say if it is not extremely fresh, she hates the smell.

Also, salmon, and other fish can exude a "pellicle," a mess of grey-white goop. Make a 10% salt solution, and soak the fish for about 30 min. That will inhibit the pellicle. Also, if the fish is not so fresh, it diminishes the "fishy" smell.

I usually aim at 120-ish.

For fillets, I usually hot tub them, and then toss them on an oiled pizza pan that has holes, or just a mesh, raised, direct. Only enough time to brown the skin.

Ragin' River is great stuff. Otherwise, at least have some fresh lemon. Dill is good, too.

Steaks can be done the same way, w. flipping. Best method I've had is a deep cast iron pot w. a pound of butter bubbling inside it. Then a minute or two per side.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Get wild caught fish, not farm raised.  You can go raised direct at 400 to your preferred doneness which I did last night or cedar plank with same set up (soak the plank).  
    Agree with the above. 

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    gdenby said:
    The quality of fish is really important. My wife "officially" hates fish. Which is to say if it is not extremely fresh, she hates the smell.

Also, salmon, and other fish can exude a "pellicle," a mess of grey-white goop. Make a 10% salt solution, and soak the fish for about 30 min. That will inhibit the pellicle. Also, if the fish is not so fresh, it diminishes the "fishy" smell.

For fillets, I usually hot tub them, and then toss them on an oiled pizza pan that has holes, or just a mesh, raised, direct. Only enough time to brown the skin.

Ragin' River is great stuff. Otherwise, at least have some fresh lemon. Dill is good, too.

Steaks can be done the same way, w. flipping. Best method I've had is a deep cast iron pot w. a pound of butter bubbling inside it. Then a minute or two per side.

isn't the pellicle something that forms after brining then air drying (tacky layer), critical when smoking? Are you referring to maybe albumin (the white stuff oozing out as you cook)? which like you said a quick brine will help get rid of this
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    poster said:
    gdenby said:

isn't the pellicle something that forms after brining then air drying (tacky layer), critical when smoking? Are you referring to maybe albumin (the white stuff oozing out as you cook)? which like you said a quick brine will help get rid of this
    Its a language problem. I was perplexed after I read that pellicle referred to tacky proteins on meats, mostly referring to being ready for smoking, as opposed to the goop on fish that I 1st saw named pellicle some years earlier. It is a coat of albumin, and may in fact be a good smoke base. Don't know. The term stuck in my vocabulary, and I haven't yet clarified the use to myself.
  • Mithrandir
    Mithrandir Posts: 36
    edited June 2016
    Raging River And cedar plank. Can't go wrong. 400 F
    Roberval, Qc, Canada
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I am not much of a cook but if there is one thing in life that I can cook, it is salmon on the egg.  Take off the skin, rub it with raging river and put it on raised direct ... about 375... flip it a few times .. meanwhile, in a heat protected dish .. melt some butter and add some genuine molasses .. not pancake syrup .. molasses ... as the salmon gets near ready liberally mop it with the butter/molasses mixture, flip again and mop again .. my wife, her sister, and everyone else that has ever had it raves and insists that I should open my own salmon restaurant.  I promise you .. do this and you can't go wrong.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Since no one else has asked...how much cat food have you been eating?  :wink:
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Raging River And cedar plank. Can't go wrong. 400 F
    +1. I rub it mustard and put lemon and onion slices on top
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Agree on the cat food taste. If you remove the skin and slice off the grey stuff under the skin and remove the bloodline the taste will be much milder. I make it a practice to remove the bloodline in all fish including the mild white fleshed fish like dolphin.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I would take salmon to 150ºf.

Lemon and dill are classic salmon flavors, Raging River is really good on any fish as well.

If you have a cedar plank, raised direct at 425º - putting salmon directly on a grill is OK, but I always like to keep it in one piece and if it sticks to the grate, the whole thing could fall apart before getting it to the table.

Try a baking dish with parchment paper - wrap the salmon with dill and lemon slices and some summer vegetables in parchment - steams it, comes out moist, and keeps any "smokey" flavors out of the fish.

25-30 mins should do it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.