Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ot-Ugrading a Mac-Ot

Options
CoMoBGE
CoMoBGE Posts: 374
With kids getting older in school I have to upgrade my old school Mac. The kids are just a little to young for laptops so I am doing an iMac. No matter which screen size I will do an i7 proc. And 16gb of ram. Is it worth the extra $600 for the 27" screen? Thanks for the input. 

Comments

• Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    If all the specs are the same and it's just for the kids, then probably not.  If you might be using it as a work station, you could always add an extra monitor later for much cheaper 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Well if we are talking Apples here... Hehe... Get it... 

Anyway from what I just looked at you go from a 1080P screen to a 5k screen which is a substantial difference and yes to me worth $600. Adding a screen later defeats the purpose of having an all in one package. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I think so.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    Options
    It's worth it. A larger screen is very helpful when you have multiple documents open at one time. Yes you can always add a second monitor but for home use could be overkill. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Are they doing photo or video processing?  Or just a computer?  If you are doing a lot of video work AND are shooting that video in 4k, then I would get their mega-monitor.  Otherwise, if it is regluar stuff like GoPro, or other cameras, then a regular monitor with a high refresh rate would be fine.

Mine will be connected to the TV as my monitor.  I can see it from across the room and I can use my wireless keyboard and mouse to run everything I need.  Plus, using it as a media center is a big plus.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    You may want to check out the used market on iMacs. Macs refurb very well. I bought a 2011 model last winter, 2.7 Ghz quad core i5 w/ 16 G's of ram, 27" monitor. I also have another 24" monitor hooked up to it. I used to do quite a bit of image editing and have done some video editing as well. I've never been disappointed in its performance and payed about half over a new unit.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle