Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd try at smoking turkey

Options
I found a couple of 12.5 pound turkeys in the freezer at work.  They were part of a promo from one of our vendors last fall.  I volunteered smoke them for the small group we meet with at church. 

First they went into a brine Saturday night.  Then onto the Egg at 325° with apple wood chunks until they came up to 160°.  One took 2.5 hours, the other 3 hours. 

They came out juicy with just enough smoke and were a big hit with everyone.  Much better than the first try a few years ago.

Only got a picture of the 2nd one just before it came off the Egg. 
Thanks for looking. 

Comments

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Great color on that bird. Did you use any rub ?
  • bakoque
    bakoque Posts: 50
    Options
    I used Montreal Chicken on the skin. The color is from the smoke.  I "roast" 2 turkeys every Thanksgiving on the Egg without wood smoke  and they have a golden color.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Did a 6 1/2 pound breast last night, sorry no pics. 260 for 3 1/2 hours pulled at 160. It was great. I did a butt and then a cast iron dish with seasoned butt a week ago. Time for something different. I think there was a steak thrown in there somewhere as well.
    Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Yes sir!!  Looks great!
    Poultry on the egg was a game changer for me. For other cuts of meat, sure they turned out great, but I saw the greatest delta of change for the better with poultry. 

If presentation is not a big factor and you have not done it yet, try spatchcocking it. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    This looks great. Sign me up
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bakoque
    bakoque Posts: 50
    Options
    @Sea2Ski, I had two 12.5 pounders on the XL, so not enough room to spatchcock. The picture is of the one that took longer to cook.