Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Chimney Cap -- got one, how best do i use it?

I got a birthday gift--a smokeware Chimney Cap--that I did not ask for but i am thrilled to have.  I think.

My concern is how to figure out the settings.  I usually keep the daisy wheel closed but the almond-shaped holes fully open and just use the bottom vent for temp control.  don't really know where to begin on the Smokeware cap.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

also, i saw that people install the gasket on the inside of the cap sleeve.  Is that the way to go?

finally, i also saw that you can keep the vent open to prevent mold growth.  Anyone have experience with keeping it partially open (since it's rain proof) I also keep it under a canopy anyway.

so, any tips/hints/thoughts on using it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited June 2016
    The setting info you're asking for is best gained through experience.  Just install it and let the games begin!  It's not too hard, honest.  As far as where the gasket goes.  Some like it on the inside of the cap, some like it on the egg.  I like mine on the egg so I can clean the cap better.  ive never had a mold issue here in Michigan so I don't know.

edit:  Welcome!
    Flint, Michigan
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I agree with Fred19Flintstone.   I always leave openings in smokeware cap wide open and control with bottom vent.  Just the way I do it.  Everyone has their method !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Throw it on and learn, simple as that. Each egg acts differently so my settings might be different than yours. It's a quick learning curve just like anything else on the egg.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    You won't have any problem learning it, just start cooking and pay attention to your settings.
    Enjoy!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Look at this (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177823/settings-daisy-wheel-to-smokeware-cap/p1) discussion to see the background calculation on the petals open vent area for Ugly Daisy.

The old SW cap (no taper) needed a 1/2" opening to match Ugly Daisy.

The new SW cap (with taper) needs a 1" opening to match Ugly Daisy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• skroll116
    skroll116 Posts: 7
    As far as the gasket goes, are you removing the existing and replacing it with what was included or are you using both?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I think I started the promotion of placing the adhesive gasket not on the BGE as recommended, but inside the cap itself. I have sent recanted that thought as in time you will want to clean your SmokeWare cap and having that gasket inside while using Easy Off oven cleaner is a hassle. BTW if your egg is a newer one and already has a gasket, just save the one that came with your new cap as there is no need for 2. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    RRP said:
    I think I started the promotion of placing the adhesive gasket not on the BGE as recommended, but inside the cap itself. 
      Ahh, so it was you who gave me that idea....  I did that, and will second the idea that for cleaning reasons, put the gasket on the egg - not the cap.

I've been using it without a gasket for the last week or two with no issues, fwiw.
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    blasting said:
    RRP said:
    I think I started the promotion of placing the adhesive gasket not on the BGE as recommended, but inside the cap itself. 
      Ahh, so it was you who gave me that idea....  I did that, and will second the idea that for cleaning reasons, put the gasket on the egg - not the cap.

guilty as charged, but big enough to recant  :s
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Staci and I melted one of the original gaskets onto her large during a clean burn.  It ran down the whole dome.  Good times removing it off the crazing, we got it off though.  Even tossed the collar into a fire.  Staci's emails are the reason why Matt changed to Nomex.  I'm pretty proud of that Fock up.  Immediately changed my two with Permatex Ultra Copper and Rutland after melting hers.  The collar is so tight with the Rutland, it is a part of the dome now, and I will never remove it.

I too, keep my things clean.  But man, you guys take it to another level removing the cap to clean. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Focker said:
    Staci and I melted one of the original gaskets onto her large during a clean burn.  It ran down the whole dome.  Good times removing it off the crazing, we got it off though.  Even tossed the collar into a fire.  Staci's emails are the reason why Matt changed to Nomex.  I'm pretty proud of that Fock up.  Immediately changed my two with Permatex Ultra Copper and Rutland after melting hers.  The collar is so tight with the Rutland, it is a part of the dome now, and I will never remove it.

Thanks my man - I just didn't want to explain what you just did...for an obvious reason. LOL
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2016
    There was a guy on here a while back, much smarter than I,  who was an engineer. He did calculations on both the original daisy wheel and the smoke ware cap and said with a very infinitesimal difference the air flow through both was pretty much the same. full is full, half is half, and 1/4 is 1/4 from one cap to the other. After reading that, I just figured it was basically the same and have cooked with it that way. I have found it to be pretty accurate
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I find it very simple to use...  It sits on the ground, unused.  Tried it for awhile and just didn't care for it.  Not that it's a bad product, I just found it more of a hassle than the DFMT or whatever it's called.  So I'll keep it around for egging during really heavy rains or backup if my DFMT breaks.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I just got mine last week too.  Plan to continue to use the bottom vent as a temp control, and really wanted the Smokeware for cookin' in the rain.  Helps to not have it readjust itself when I open the grill up, also.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.