Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh Noes! I wet my lump!

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
While on vacation in Sedona AZ this past week I noticed bags of 100% mesquite lump in their supermarket, picked one up for $5 and threw it in the back of the truck to try it out on a brisket.  I think it'd been discussed here before but couldn't remember for sure.

Anyhoo, I completely forgot about it and ran my truck thru the carwash after the trip.  d'Oh!  The bag got wet but not soggingly so, and I've propped it up to dry.  I'm assuming, as long as I let it dry thoroughly for a week or so, it'll work fine, but I'm not sure.  Anyone experience something similar?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    No experience with car-wash lump but I'm guessing it will be just fine once dried out.  And if not you won't know if it's the lump or the soak... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It'll be fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    My only concern would be the soap
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I bet it isn't even wet

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Won't be an issue-have had bags get left in the rain and no problem.
    Greensboro, NC
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options

I hear go fund me pages go over well here. Let us know we can fix it for you.

Seattle, WA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    It Depends
    New Albany, Ohio 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Car Wash Mike Ribs.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I think you may have just started a new thing...
    Phoenix 
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    So now it'll burn clean right when you light ?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Cut the bag open set it in the sun......that's about it.  It will dry out pretty quick.

Otherwise, if you don't want it to be a mess, then just light your leftover lump in the egg, get it hot, then dump a bucket of the wet lump on top.  It will cook the water out and you'll be ready to grill.  Shut her down, and repeat the next time.

Charcoal is the oldest known manufactured product known to man--not because it *is* the oldest, just because it lasted the longest!!  You can't destroy it unless you burn it up. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    If the bag isn't soaked through, how the hell is the lunp evening going to be wet?

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If the bag isn't soaked through, how the hell is the lunp evening going to be wet?

I missed that part......yeah, just open the top so the paper dries and you'll be fine.  The charcoal probably isn't even wet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pretty lousy carwash if a paper bag sitting in the open bed of a pickup isn't soaking wet afterward. :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Update on the fires?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Did the truck get clean, I mean that was the point right?
    Jacksonville FL
  • blasting
    Options
    Dobie said:

@Dobie   No, the point is that you shouldn't wash the truck!  

Actually, one of the benefits of living in this hell they named Phoenix, is you don't have to wash a vehicle often.  I haven't washed mine in 14 months, and it doesn't look dirty at all.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blasting said:
    Dobie said:

Actually, one of the benefits of living in this hell they named Phoenix, is you don't have to wash a vehicle often.  I haven't washed mine in 14 months, and it doesn't look dirty at all.
    But it's dirty as Shlt, you don't see it because it looks like all the other dirty cars in Phoenix.  "Relativity" ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blasting said:
    Dobie said:

But it's dirty as Shlt, you don't see it because it looks like all the other dirty cars in Phoenix.  "Relativity" ;)

@bgebrent -  last week I had a customer walk me out to my truck, and she commented on how clean my truck always looked.  I just said thank you, and chuckled as I drove away.  
    Phoenix