Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strong start, with many experiments to come...

Options
Good afternoon everyone!

Writing from Columbia, MD (between DC and Baltimore) and recently joined the Egg Head community just over a week ago, before the Memorial Day weekend.  To date, I've handled racks of ribs twice and a beer can chicken with really solid, delicious results.  My fourth and current cook is a Boston Butt that's been on since approximately 12:30AM this morning, making this my first overnight cook (with a little assistance from a Maverick ET-732 remote bbq smoker thermometer).  I'm getting ready to pull it off now and let it rest as the internal temp is getting close to 200 degrees F.  

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all the posts to date that I've been able to comb through and look for great ideas and recipes.

I'll leave you with this picture of the Boston Butt this morning before I wrapped it in foil for the second half of the cook.  

Until next time, Happy Eating!

Great_EGGspectations
Low Country EggHead
Charleston, South Carolina
Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Looks strong from here. Welcome
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    That looks great!   One thing i just learned from this forum is to elevate your drip pan with some balls of foil or something like that.  This prevents some undesired smoke when the drippings start boiling.  I can't tell if your drip pan is set directly on the deflector or if it is elevated.  I have been egging 6 years I think.  I remember when my egg looked as clean as yours.  Welcome, and keep sharing your cooks!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I can't tell if your drip pan is set directly on the deflector or if it is elevated.  I have been egging 6 years I think.  I remember when my egg looked as clean as yours.  Welcome, and keep sharing your cooks!

Thanks and will do!  The drip pan was sitting directly on the deflector plate.  I had shaped some foil into an "S" to put underneath the drip pan; but, the bourbon from last night helped fog my memory and I forgot to put it on there... by the time I remembered, it wasn't worth the hassle of interrupting the cook.  Yeah... this BGE is too clean... I need to work on that!
    Low Country EggHead

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Nice Starts. If you want to speed the cooking, don't wrap in foil, just go to a higher, up to 350F. When the meat is foiled, it is in a sweat bath that speeds the connective tissue break down. But, at the expense of a nice crispy bark. Higher temperatures also break down the connective tissues faster, but don't mush the bark. Do watch that the exterior is not becoming charred, dessicated. Mop it if that's happening. Once dried completely, the outside crust begins to char, and become bitter. At the same time, heat transfer to the inside slows. One small downside of higher temp cooking.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Welcome, and good lookin grub!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Higher temperatures also break down the connective tissues faster, but don't mush the bark. Do watch that the exterior is not becoming charred, dessicated. Mop it if that's happening. Once dried completely, the outside crust begins to char, and become bitter. At the same time, heat transfer to the inside slows.
    I appreciate the advice.  I'm sure I'll get around to a higher temperature cook for a pork shoulder/boston butt soon.  I'll remember to keep an eye on the charring when I do!  Thanks gdenby!  
    Low Country EggHead

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Great start & welcome. I use three high tech rocks from my driveway to elevate my drip pan :). Also, since your platesetter is new and clean - I cover mine with foil. If junk runs on it during a cook I can take off the foil and throw it away. The reason is I can avoid off flavors in a subsequent cook if I think it could be a problem. YMMV
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Welcome. Come back after five with a cold beverage for the shenanigans. 
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I can't tell if your drip pan is set directly on the deflector or if it is elevated.  I have been egging 6 years I think.  I remember when my egg looked as clean as yours.  Welcome, and keep sharing your cooks!

Thanks and will do!  The drip pan was sitting directly on the deflector plate.  I had shaped some foil into an "S" to put underneath the drip pan; but, the bourbon from last night helped fog my memory and I forgot to put it on there... by the time I remembered, it wasn't worth the hassle of interrupting the cook.  Yeah... this BGE is too clean... I need to work on that!
    I don't bother with foil - just use some beer bottle caps. Works well enough and repurposes something that would otherwise be thrown away
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Great start & welcome. I use three high tech rocks from my driveway to elevate my drip pan :). Also, since your platesetter is new and clean - I cover mine with foil.
    Thank you!  Although your high tech approach may be a little too complicated for me.  LOL

I did wrap the deflector in foil when I cooked ribs during the first two cooks.  I was being lazy with the chicken and today's cook of the Boston Butt.
    Low Country EggHead

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Good looking but there!  Used to live in Ellicott City next door, nice area!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I like your handle.
  • Great_EGGspectations
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I like your handle.
    Ha! Back at ya!
    Low Country EggHead

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great looking cook right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    Looks great! Welcome
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota