Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen

Options
I am looking at building an outdoor kitchen. The idea is to have a shed type roof attached to the house and sloping out and down at a low angle about 18 feet wide and 12 feet deep (from house to end of roof). My Large and Medium BGEs are planned to be mounted in a counter against the house about in the middle of the 18ft wide roof area. I have a screen porch to the left and its open air to the right. The roof will be about 9 1/2 feet tall where the BGEs sit or about 6 1/2 feet above the cooking surface of the BGEs. My question is can I push the smoke from the BGE out from underneath the roof to the right and the open air effectively with fans mounted on the ceiling?
I know two things.
1. This is tough to visualize so thank for trying and I'm open to any quesitons
2. Some one will say, "OF COURSE" if the fans are big enough... :-)

If you have any ideas on how to do this effectively, what type of fans to use, or other ideas, I'd love to hear them...
Thanks in advance,
T-Que

Comments

• VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    Options
    If the fans are big enough ....

I wish I'd have put two fans in my space, but they are mostly for cooling and pests.  Mother nature tends to over power the ceiling fan, but when it does it still disperses.  When it's still, the single fan keeps smoke from accumulating.

Mine aren't against the house but more under the eaves.
  • PatsFan70
    PatsFan70 Posts: 29
    Options
    I would install an outdoor-rated stainless exhaust hood over the eggs and vent it through the roof.  My uncle had the type of setup you propose with 2 ceiling fans and a box fan and still wouldn't clear the smoke.  
    KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
    Southeastern, MA
  • VanDawg38
    Options
    Good idea, PatsFan70
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Exhaust hoods are very expensive and may create a noise or rattle in duct work. You could put some surface on ceiling that you could clean maybe stainless or some other material. The smoke rising will carry small particles of grease that will accumulate over time. A fan mounted to blow it away would help keep build up down.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    VanDawg38 said:

I wish I'd have put two fans in my space, but they are mostly for cooling and pests.  Mother nature tends to over power the ceiling fan, but when it does it still disperses.  When it's still, the single fan keeps smoke from accumulating.

@VanDawg38, very nice setup.  Did you do the work yourself or hired it out.  We have an 18'x24' patio, that gets good shade in the early morning and late afternoon, but something like this would be even better.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I agree with @PatsFan70 - the hood would be the best way to go. Overhead fans will keep the smoke from accumulating, but won't vent it out well. Then if you point a fan directly at the eggs, you'll effect the fire/airflow.

I installed an outdoor fan in our gazebo - turned it on reverse and it acts just like a vent hood (but the top of the gazebo is also vented)
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • VanDawg38
    edited June 2016
    Options
    VanDawg38 said:

@VanDawg38, very nice setup.  Did you do the work yourself or hired it out.  We have an 18'x24' patio, that gets good shade in the early morning and late afternoon, but something like this would be even better.
    Thanks.  I pulled in some favors to DIY the cover, electrical and plumbing.  Without a lot of help, I never would have gotten those trusses up.

Paid for the brickwork and counters.  

Total covered area is about 17'x34'. 
  • mindfulwanderer
    Options
    Nice looking outdoor kitchen. I have a sink left over from remodeling the home kitchen and some left over Trex boards. I have a medium BGE and will use the standard table design with work space between the BGE and sink. I want to use the Trex for the work space and trim on the sink and cooler. I plan on using oven tiles between the BGE and workspace. My question is how much space needs to be between the BGE and the Trex?