Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2" Thick Porterhouse Steaks???

Options
JohnH12
JohnH12 Posts: 213
The local Publix had their choice Porterhouse and T-Bone steaks for $7.99 per pound so I picked up two Porterhouse for the wife's birthday today. The butcher went in the back and came out with two great looking steaks that are 2" thick and each weighs about 2 pounds. I've never cooked steaks that thick so need some recommendations.
I have to admit that I usually grill steaks on the Weber kettle with some fire brick to separate the hot and super hot zones. The thermometer in the lid is normally at about 500~600 so I've been cooking the steak on the side with no coals and then moving to the super hot coal side for the finish.
The problem is she likes her steaks very rare (knock the horns off and wipe it's ass) and I prefer medium rare to medium.
Looking for some timing and I/T recommendations so the come off at about the same time.
BTW: We normally keep it simple and only use salt and pepper so the real meat flavor stays more true. Maybe a little salted butter at the end just to keep things juicy.
Sides will be grilled Zuchinni and baked Russet potato.
How'bout it Pro's? Help me make her dinner a hit.

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If it was me I would put yours on first for about 3 or 4 mins. I would give it a good seer on both sides. Then put it over cool spot of grill your I/T (130 to 135). I would then do the same for wife's. Her I/T (125 to 130). For that size I think (120 to 125) would be cold in center. Also might need to flip it more than you normally might for even cooking. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Caveman style is nice for a thick steak. Just keep an eye on the IT and they'll come off close just because of the temp.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    For big boy steaks like that, reverse sear would be the way to go.  

24hrs before: 

Salt the steaks and place un-covered in the fridge.  This will dry out any moisture.  I also like to rub the meat with fresh garlic too.  

1 hour before, remove and add a little more salt and pepper (liberally on pepper).  

Heat Egg to 250°

Place on Egg and roast until 10-15° below your target temps.  

Open the gates on the Egg, get it about 500°.  Place CI pan in Egg, with some canola oil.  

Get the pan smoking and place Tbone in pan.  Press the meat on the pan for optimum crust.  About 1 min.  

Flip

Add a big hunk of butter (you can add aromatics at this point too).  Tilt the pan and start bathing over the steaks.  

Remove and drizzle the remaining browned butter over the steaks.  Can add Gorgonzola or blue cheese too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would go with a reverse sear for the steaks.  It sounds like that is what you have been doing on your kettle.  Cook indirect and take hers off when the IT is around 115-120, take yours off around 125-130.  Let the steaks rest before the sear.   The goal is to make sure the internal temperature has stopped climbing so that when you sear you don't overshoot the final temp. 

Switch to direct and then sear at high heat just about 1 minute per side with the dome open. Another good option is to sear in a cast iron skillet or griddle.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    2" thick steaks are exactly what reverse sear was designed for.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Do what Matt said and you will nail it.  If you want more info on it just search the reverse sear method.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    Agree...reverse sear.  Eliminate the risk of a well-done to rare profile when you cut it open.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks to all. I used a little from each of you and a little of what I've done in the past.
    The wife took all the pressure off by saying she wanted to cook her own steak! I put mine on indirect to an I/T of about 130 and then she put hers directly over the hot coals. She flipped hers at about 1 minute and took it off about 2 minutes later. I think it was still mooing!! Threw mine over the hot coals for about a minute on each side and all was good.
    No pics but a happy wife on her birthday make my life just great.... That is until I screw something up again!!