Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - last minute

Options
So a while back I picked up a nice whole standing roast about 4lbs and was planning on cooking it tomorrow when we had company.  Originally was going to either throw it in the sous vide for 24 hours then sear on the egg, or do the old fashioned reverse sear method since I was completely free tomorrow after work.  Looks like I got the days mixed up and it needs to be done today and I had to throw it in the sous vide because I have a baseball game (yes I still play post college days, or at least try to at 27).  So I have it in the sous vide, is 3 hours enough time for when I come home a few adult beverages in ready to sear on egg? Or will only 3 hours in the hot tub ruin the meat and I should come up with a plan B for food tonight?  

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Just don't call it sous vide. Pretend you are just warming it up for three hours before cooking it. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think 3 hours will ruin anything, however it won't be enough time to get it cooked through.   If you want to cook it tonight I think I would set the egg up for indirect at 350 or so and remove it from the bath and put it in the egg. Check the IT when you take it out of the bath and I suspect it might only be 70 degrees.  You could do a reverse sear in the egg if you wish or just cook it 350 until it reaches your final temp.  

Another option is to just leave it in the bath for dinner tomorrow and pick up some steaks to throw on the grill tonight :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks for the tips/suggestions @Darby_Crenshaw and @SmokeyPitt

decided to stick with the 24 hour sous vide and will be finishing this tomorrow.. Girlfriend thinks this was my plan all along to ensure that I was able to eat it entirely myself without sharing, smart girl I got there haha

Southwestern, CT

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You aren't cooking it through gentlemen

let's assume you didn't own a sous vide machine. And had no deaire to warm it in water

a perfectly fantastic roast would have been the result of yanking it cold from the fridge and roasting it slowly. Why? To heat it thru gently

or you could have left it out to get to the fabled (but never achieved) "room temperature ".  And then toss it on, roast, and again. Perfect

or simply warm it up in a ziploc submerged in hot water. Sous vide? I don't know what you mean. All i want is to warm it thru quickly so that i can roast it or sear it at a higher temp and be done quickly. And it will also be an even cross section all the way across

We. Must. Understand. Why. We. Do. What. We. Do. 

It wouldn't ruin thw meat to only "sous vide" for three hours.

in fact. It would be great to warm it up in a nice even bath so it's core temp was within shouting disrance of being done, and then finishing it by roasting or even searing

is it just me?  it's all the same thing: warm it up, then cook the thing
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Bart1434
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I was not planning on pulling it from the hot tub, sous vide, warm up, whatever and to serve it.. I have done a prime rib before with a reverse sear method with great results but I enjoy trying new ways and results to see what is my personal preference preferred method.  I came across an article where someone cooked a prime rib roast in a sous vide for 24 hours then finished cooking on the egg, the pictures looked amazing and I wanted to give it a try... Looking back I probably could of warmed it up for a few hours and finished with a reverse sear but time restraints did not allow for that.  

Southwestern, CT

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree Darby it wouldn't hurt anything by only warming it for 3 hours in the bath and then continuing to cook by a conventional method.  I was just thinking it would be a timing issue for dinner tonight.  After only 3 hours in sous vide (assuming that is at 8:30 if OP is in Eastern time zone) it could still take a couple of hours to finish so dinner time might be 10:30 PM.  Or, you have to cook pretty hot to rush it in which case you don't get the benefit of gently heating it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bart1434
    Options
    Finally had time to finish this small prime rib and man it came out great. Super tender, perfect medium rare and put together a nice butter herb garlic sauce... Can't wait for tomorrow's lunch for a nice sandwhich!

Southwestern, CT

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks delicious!  SV is a game changer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I agree with Brent, deeeelicious!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I love PR. !!!
    Looks great !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Bart1434
    Options
    Thanks everyone, turned out great... Love trying new ways to enhance the cooking experience or techniques and this will be the future way I make PR going forward for sure !

Southwestern, CT