Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Chiminea Stand

I am looking for stand or ideas if a nest would work.  Thoughts or experiences?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    No clue here. But if you're in the southeast I'll gladly take that chimnea off your hands!!!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,954
    sejones72 said:
    I am looking for stand or ideas if a nest would work.  Thoughts or experiences?
    Have seen pictures here using nests so they can be moved around. The original stands were simply a welded circle with three legs. A handy person could fabricate one for you easily.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    This is on a large BGE stand

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • sejones72
    sejones72 Posts: 7
    Cool, doesn't wobble around or anything?
  • sejones72
    sejones72 Posts: 7
    Jeremiah, just bought one off craigslist in Raleigh.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006

Mine came with a large nest, or possibly a medium.  Sits just fine, no wobble.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    sejones72 said:
    Seriously? Damn craigslist app failed again. Stupid thing is supposed to send an alert. Damnit. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    I STILL don't get the reluctance of BGE to make these available on a special order basis! Granted - they aren't for everyone, but seeing that BGE has competition galore nipping at their heels then why not stay ahead of the Chinese rip offs and other what-to-bes and produce these things again! If not I'm sure "Sunshine Chen" is already at work willing to eat BGE's lunch!!! HEY BUFFALOS>>>can one of you guys pass this along???
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    @rrp maybe because the use a toll manufacturer to produce all the ceramics (and other parts for that matter) and a) the carrying cost would be astronomical for the volume or b) the unit cost would be cost prohibitive on a make to order basis. 
  • How much did these sell for when they were making them? What are the going for used? 
    Snellville, GA

• RRP
    @rrp maybe because the use a toll manufacturer to produce all the ceramics (and other parts for that matter) and a) the carrying cost would be astronomical for the volume or b) the unit cost would be cost prohibitive on a make to order basis. 
    please permit me to word my question clearer...OK? What I was saying was I find it hard to believe that BGE would not be willing to make a batch of 200, 300, 400 or whatever of these down there in Mexico just to have on hand to sell special order. Yes it is a niche market, but BGE corporate has figured out how to hype other products to "the few" who are willing to pay a premium for something other eggers don't have, but want anyway. Get my drift now? 
  • theyolksonyou
    edited May 2016
    Dal-Tile make the ceramics in Mexico. Mohawk owns Dal-Tile. Mohawk is a 8 billion dollar company. Do you think they want to make 200-400 of anything?  especially a batch process like ceramics?  That's too far down the rabbit hole to be worth it without a huge premium on Mohawk's part. 
  • RRP
    Dal-Tile make the ceramics in Mexico. Mohawk owns Dal-Tile. Mohawk is a 8 billion dollar company. Do you think they want to make 200-400 of anything?  especially a batch process like ceramics?  That's too far down the rabbit hole to be worth it without a huge premium on Mohawk's part. 
    Fine...you win! Please excuse my ignorance. 
  • theyolksonyou
    @rrp I may or may not have an inside track.  ;)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    sejones72 said:
    There is a stand on craigslist Charlotte 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    Then let me ask this...my gut says there is an extremely limited demand for that monster XXL. Based on what you have said then BGE must have ordered only 1 or 2 special runs and sell them on a special order basis only. Then why wouldn't the same idea work for a batch of chimineas? It too is just for a niche market.
  • SGrabs33
    SGrabs33 Posts: 46
    damn I just saw this on craigslist this morning and asked if he still had it. guess I should have checked yesterday. congrats sejones. enjoy.
    Raleigh, NC
  • theyolksonyou
    @rrp I agree with you, but I believe the answer to your question lies in the price structure. There is not 3x materials and labor in a XXL vs xl. Someone, or multiple someones are paying a premium. BGE would have to decide if the view was worth the climb. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    RRP said:
    Then let me ask this...my gut says there is an extremely limited demand for that monster XXL. Based on what you have said then BGE must have ordered only 1 or 2 special runs and sell them on a special order basis only. Then why wouldn't the same idea work for a batch of chimineas? It too is just for a niche market.
    Because when you walk into a dealer or an Eggfest and see the XXL it's impressive as hell...
    I can buy a chiminea out of the back of a pick up truck parked on the side of the road that looks real nice for $50.
    I understand what you are saying about nitch buyers but obviously it's just not worth the time, effort and money to do it.

I wish BGE would spend some time and money to work on a better band and hinge system. I really like some of the other brands that use a groove/channel in the base and dome that the bands fit into. This would take care of most of the alignment issues and domes falling out of the bands.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110

My 2 cents...and for the record I have two, bought off of Craig's List.

Everyone SAYS they would love a BGE chimanea, but when one pops up at some random dealer, those that have been crying for one don't put there money where their mouth is. And those that HAVE recently found that BGE unicorn haven't paid full retail, as near as I can tell.

So...it appears there IS a market for a BGE chimanea...at $175, or $250, but NOT at the MSRP of $400. And it was $400 BACK WHEN THEY WERE MAKING THEM. There has been about a 30% increase in BGE prices since they stopped producing them...so...

Hey, maybe RTIC will hop in and start ripping off BGE Chimaneas since Yeti hasn't made any new products for them to rip off lately. :)

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    I would love to find one for $200. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    I always assumed it was a novelty type deal, like this mini mini!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    Well - while we're at here is our everyday S & P shakers!

• Hotch
    gmbbs said:

Everyone SAYS they would love a BGE chimanea, but when one pops up at some random dealer, those that have been crying for one don't put there money where their mouth is. And those that HAVE recently found that BGE unicorn haven't paid full retail, as near as I can tell.

So...it appears there IS a market for a BGE chimanea...at $175, or $250, but NOT at the MSRP of $400. And it was $400 BACK WHEN THEY WERE MAKING THEM. There has been about a 30% increase in BGE prices since they stopped producing them...so...

Hey, maybe RTIC will hop in and start ripping off BGE Chimaneas since Yeti hasn't made any new products for them to rip off lately. :)

@gmdds Mine was brand new and I paid retail plus packing and shipping costs. So when you mentioned those that want one but won't pay up I call Bu!! Shi!. It took a year to locate a new one and a month of hard work by a few good people to make it happen.
    If a new pops up again I will buy it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    edited May 2016
    Hotch said:
    gmbbs said:

@gmdds Mine was brand new and I paid retail plus packing and shipping costs. So when you mentioned those that want one but won't pay up I call Bu!! Shi!. It took a year to locate a new one and a month of hard work by a few good people to make it happen.
    If a new pops up again I will buy it.
    It's not Bu!! Shi!. You are one of the few. If it were popular, and selling, it would still be on the shelf today.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    edited May 2016
    No it's BS. He said no one would step up and pay top dollar for one. I know of 3 or 4 that went for $300+ in last year.  Two in the last month, both new from dealers. Now is there a market for BGE to run production on these, I doubt it. With dozens of other chiminea mfg. out there the market will represented. 
    Fact is I am also buying a cast aluminum one that also has a pizza oven door built in.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Sorry, did not think you took everything that literal.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    edited May 2016
    I don't , just wanted to drop a load on the top of the pile!!
    I know how you are!!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • gmbbs

I'm not one of those internet shite-stirrers, just giving my opinion. If BGE re-released the chimanea in 2016, what do you think they'd charge? I'd bet $550+. And no one would buy them...again.

There certainly is a lot of passion amongst the chimanea lovers tho!

• gmbbs
    OK, I actually did think my RTIC comment would cause the backlash...