Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juicers.....any recommendations for one based on your experience?

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
I am not looking for something to squeeze the juice from kale and the like.....just fresh fruit juice. I have an ancient one that belonged to my mom. The motor is about woo out......but has squeezed many a drink for me.

I am doing some research for the upcoming birthday present from the family......Anyone use these are have a more modern electric version they are really pleased with?

One important feature I am looking for is something that drains the and easily separates the pulp. I like a little pulp but not a lot. Thanks for reading and responding. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    My wife bought a juicer a few years ago when juicing thing got big. It is made by Breville. It works really well at separating pulp. The only thing is, to me, you need an awful lot of fruit to fill it up. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I started with a centrifugal juicer a few years ago.  They work great and are inexpensive (comparatively) for a good "starter" juicer.  I ultimately went to a single screw juicer and like the flavors (less oxidation) of the juice produced but the costs of such is 2 to 3 times that of the centrifugal juicer.  The biggest difference is flexibility (and taste) as I can do silly things like sorbets with the single screw that I cannot with the centrifugal.

Best of luck in your quest!!! 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• northGAcock
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will read up on it.

• northGAcock
    Options
    GregW said:
    I appreciate the link to the reviews. Very helpful.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Trying to improve on your bloody's?  Why?!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I started with a centrifugal juicer a few years ago.  They work great and are inexpensive (comparatively) for a good "starter" juicer.  I ultimately went to a single screw juicer and like the flavors (less oxidation) of the juice produced but the costs of such is 2 to 3 times that of the centrifugal juicer.  The biggest difference is flexibility (and taste) as I can do silly things like sorbets with the single screw that I cannot with the centrifugal.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    My wife is still talking about those. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    bgebrent said:
    Robin's got those down!  Even out of the back of his car! B)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    bgebrent said:
    Robin's got those down!  Even out of the back of his car! 

Tbw stuff mixed out of the back of his vehicle is awesome, (and darn near lethal). Dude has hero status in my eyes.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    bgebrent said:

Tbw stuff mixed out of the back of his vehicle is awesome, (and darn near lethal). Dude has hero status in my eyes.
    Because I could only agree once.  Truth.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    bgebrent said:

And he's a super nice, generous dude on top of that. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    No...actually the mid morning Tito's and fresh squeezed Ruby Red Grapefruit. Not onlyare they good, but good for you ;)

• northGAcock
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    bgebrent said:

And he's a super nice, generous dude on top of that. 
    Ok Yolk.....what do I owe you.......thanks all for the kind remarks. The truth is those slushies are what is lethal, and clouding yalls thinking. Think of the Bloodys as setting the table for a great day with friends and family.....as it should be. Hope you are all having a good week.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i use the hand press similar to the one posted, mines probably from the 1920's. never seen a need to go electric but mine wont fit grapefruit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @northGAcock, we use this one for squeezing citrus juice easily. It will also handle grapefruit, which some others won't. http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-46878-ommercial/dp/B00KQ47HL0/ cleanup is quick and simple and it can really crank the juice out. We also have a centrifugal juicer, but seldom use it any more. It's a pita to clean and have replaced it with the Vitamix for juicing smoothies, etc.

It's on the left hiding behind the salt and pepper grinders. It has a relatively small footprint and we just leave it out on the counter. Be forewarned, it's heavy, about 13 pounds. If you want no pulp, just put a small strainer in the cup the juice goes into.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Thanks @Dredger I will look at this more closely. Hope all is well with you and family.

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    I have the Breville model posted abovie, it's awesome and fast, but have found that the oxidation is what you want to avoid. I'd recommend the slow press/squeeze models. 
  • Dredger
    Options
    Hope all is well with you and family.

Thanks @northGacock, I appreciate that. Will know more in 3 weeks.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    If you're wanting to "squeeze" the juice out of Kale or other leafy or root vegetable (Celery, Carrots, Beets, etc), The Breville will work, just drink your juice as it comes out!

If you're really CONSUMED by the possibilities, the Omega 8004 Masticating Juicer is AWESOME and will pretty much juice anything!!!  (But the price sucks)!

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-J8004-Nutrition-Commercial-Masticating/dp/B001RLYOEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463525127&sr=8-1&keywords=omega+8004

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of Barry Bonds, but the rest of the guys aren't so bad I guess.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I have a Vitamix and love it. I was on the fence about spending that much money, but have had it for several years now, and from the day I got it, I have not touched the regular juicer since.
    It does so many things from icecream to soup, and the best smoothies you can imagine. If you don't like the pulp in the juice, you can strain it, but the Vitamix makes it so smooth I think it just adds to the juicing goodness with no pulp to toss.
    You can sometimes find them on sale, or reconditioned. If you are near any outlets, Kitchen Connection has them pretty fairly priced.
    Love ours and use it often for lots of things.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of Barry Bonds, but the rest of the guys aren't so bad I guess.
    Finally a voice of reason.

• northGAcock
    edited May 2016
    Options

@The_Stache    Can you explain further your comment regarding oxidation of the juice? Please pardon my ignorance here?

• northGAcock
    edited June 2016
    Options
    TDredger said:
    @northGAcock, we use this one for squeezing citrus juice easily. It will also handle grapefruit, which some others won't. http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-46878-ommercial/dp/B00KQ47HL0/ cleanup is quick and simple and it can really crank the juice out. We also have a centrifugal juicer, but seldom use it any more. It's a pita to clean and have replaced it with the Vitamix for juicing smoothies, etc.

It's on the left hiding behind the salt and pepper grinders. It has a relatively small footprint and we just leave it out on the counter. Be forewarned, it's heavy, about 13 pounds. If you want no pulp, just put a small strainer in the cup the juice goes into.
    I got one of these for Fathers Day (well actually arrived today). Will be putting that rascal to use this weekend. I'm pumped.....I mean squeezed. Hope your family is doing better.

• Dredger
    Options
    I hope you enjoy it @northGAcock, we use ours almost daily. Simple to use and simple to clean. We like that. Thanks for the comment about the family. FIL had his final testing and meeting with the neurosurgeon today and they have ruled out surgery due to the dangerous location of the breaks. Greatly relieved and he is doing fairly well considering the circumstances. Hanging in there. It's been a long road. Thankful.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We "juice" daily  sometimes twice a day.  Buy the best brevelle they make its about 300 it will last for years.  All others are junk unless you go top of the line and they are about $1500-2500. If u want smoothies nutribullets are inexpensive and work well
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

This is the one we found to be the best 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We have & use the Ninja Professional Series 1500w and Magic Bullet. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL