Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay I need some help. Pulled beef...

Options
shadowrider
shadowrider Posts: 108
edited May 2016 in Beef
I've attempted this twice now using chuck roasts.  Both times there was no way it was pullling.  

Last night I did two big roasts, indirect, 250 deg, took them to 155 internal then foiled and took them to 195.  Actually one which was a little smaller got up to 210 on me.  Took them out, let them rest in the sealed foil, and stuck a fork in them. When you can pick them up by them grabbing onto the fork, it ain't gonna pull.  The other came out right at 195.

So is it the cut of meat I'm using?  What's the secret?

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Don't know what to tell you other than I don't think I've ever had one probe like butter at less than 208-210 degrees internal. Did you add liquid when you foiled? I've never done one without a braising.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like the only things I do different than what you did is I will add some beef stock and worschestire sauce when I pan it up and have hardly ever had a chuckie let loose before 212-215°.  You just have to keep checking till it probes tender. Pulled beef is a cook of patience and not nearly as forgiving as pulled pork but when done correctly it will taste better than its pork cousin any day    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The cut?  Maybe. I start with kosher salt, cracked pepper, maybe some herb butter and some rosemary and thyme. I smoke them 215℉-275℉ and at about 175℉ IT. Remove the herb sprigs as much as possible. Then I'll foil it with a splash or two of natural beef broth and same amount of a nice red wine ( Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, etc). Then let it go until real tender. It'll pull I promise. 
    I do these a lot. I'm 50/50 on preference of sliced or pulled. Both are loved at our dinner table. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like the only things I do different than what you did is I will add some beef stock and worschestire sauce when I pan it up and have hardly ever had a chuckie let loose before 212-215°.  You just have to keep checking till it probes tender. Pulled beef is a cook of patience and not nearly as forgiving as pulled pork but when done correctly it will taste better than its pork cousin any day    
    ^^^What he said. And now I have a sudden urge for a pulled beef sandwich with white onions on top.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shadowrider
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Okay, it sounds like I'm stopping too soon.  And I'll try some broth next time, but I will say there was a good cup of juice in the foil of each one.  They weren't dry by any means, just tough as a boot.  It takes awhile to dice up 10lbs of roast, my cutting board was crying.  ;)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Patience Danielson. They definitely take time. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ElkhornHusker
    ElkhornHusker Posts: 493
    Options
    I have cooked several chuck roasts lately.  I go with 3 hours on the egg, take roasts off and place in aluminum pan, add 1 cup of broth, and cover pan with foil.  Smoke another 3 hours.  The roasts have always pulled easily.  I then add bbq sauce with the pulled roast mix well, back in pan with foil cover for another hour in the egg.  
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yep, 210 easy, still in the braise.  If it's not pulling, keep cooking.
    NOLA
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I don't foil mine. My first one sucked, I asked here. Patience and let it go...man that made a world of difference. Probed like buttah and pulled like pork butt. I love the chuckies
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As above, go til it probes tender and you will likely be 210*F or better if you check the temp.  Chuckie will get there-patience is the watchword.  Back on the horse.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Not to pile on, but I had the same issues as you.  Definitely need to let it go longer.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Follow this recipe and the problem is solved. It doesnt really matter what kind of liquid you use.

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Follow this recipe and the problem is solved. It doesnt really matter what kind of liquid you use.

I've cooked this recipe several times and it rocks. I'm about due to cook it again. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • shadowrider
    Options

I saw that the other day.  This is the next cook, I promise.
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    tried one the other night as well. Pulled at 203 and no pull...I sliced it. Still made decent sandwiches. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Guys - everybody needs to throw the cooking to temp out the window when it comes to any meat that is intended to be pulled.  A general rule of thumb is pork is close at 200-203 but beef chuckie is around 205-210, I've even had it go to 215 before it let loose.  Once your close forget about temps and only probe for tenderness.  You want that warm butter feel.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Eb1222
    Eb1222 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey gang I'm making clays bbq beef recipe for the first time this weekend,  but some of the family doesn't eat pork(bacon).  I can only assume using the bacon provides quite a bit of flavor and fat, but since I can't use any pork does anyone have any other suggestions that I can use in place of the bacon?   I'm going to use beef broth/stock instead of water when I switch it to the Dutch oven, but would appreciate any advice on a non pork bacon replacement.(the things we do for family)  
  • shadowrider
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You guys were right.  Adding liquid and letting it run is what it takes.  Cast iron helps too.  I'm gonna need a bunch more chuckies...

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Good job! That looks great

analyze adapt overcome

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Guys - everybody needs to throw the cooking to temp out the window when it comes to any meat that is intended to be pulled.  A general rule of thumb is pork is close at 200-203 but beef chuckie is around 205-210, I've even had it go to 215 before it let loose.  Once your close forget about temps and only probe for tenderness.  You want that warm butter feel.  

I agree and can't stress this enough! When I cook in competitions, I monitor meat temp as a guideline. Once it gets to a certain point I am constantly probing but not for temp. I am doing it to see how tender it is. In competition there is a fine line between tender and over cooked. Sometimes it takes a while even when you think it should be done.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Looks great, @shadowrider
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS