Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally installed my rutland gasket

Options

I bought this BGE used and the hinge was installed upside down. He told me it would not stay up and maybe needed new springs.

Now it stays up just fine. It did take me a while to get it all position back where the dollar bill test was tight all the way around and dome fit just right. But it all good now.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    NICE! A+ on the application!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    NICE! A+ on the application!

Thanks that means a lot coming from you.

Thanks for the gasket and the super fast shipping.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Definitely a Pro install right there!

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    Options
    What's the best place to get one? And what's the cost? TIA.
  • pinballLooking
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RRP   sells them just PM him.   That is where I bought mine.                  
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    @Texag06ish I recommend buying it from @RRP

He has a set of directions and install knowledge that you want. Just private message him and he'll set you up.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options

I bought this BGE used and the hinge was installed upside down. He told me it would not stay up and maybe needed new springs.

Now it stays up just fine. It did take me a while to get it all position back where the dollar bill test was tight all the way around and dome fit just right. But it all good now.

This cracks me up, I had the same problem with my used egg, lid would just barely stay open to the point that I wouldn't leave it open without my hand on it in fear that it would come crashing down, the helpful eyes of fellow eggers on here pointed me in the right direction. Been great ever since, also recently installed my Rutland, much better than my char OEM gasket that came with it. Well done on the install.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Is that a burned out hole in your table at the 7 o'clock positions?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • pinballLooking
    edited April 2016
    Options
     @XC242

Yes he did not have the stand tighten down so the wood was touching the BGE. This happened before I bought it.

I pressured washed the stand and tightened down the bolts. I think I will make a cement top for like a couple other people on here did. Maybe take on this project it later in the summer. I will stain the stand to help make it look better.

I cooked on it tonight 235 no smoke came out gasket. :) 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    @XC242

Yes he did not have the stand tighten down so the wood was touching the BGE. This happened before I bought it.

I pressured washed the stand and tightened down the bolts. I think I will make a cement top for like a couple other people on here did. Maybe take on this project it later in the summer. I will stain the stand to help make it look better.

I cooked on it tonight 235 no smoke came out gasket.  

Actually any time smoke does come out then don't worry! Any leakage of smoke carries with it minute particles of creosote which will build up that leaking passageway and make it tighter. It won't happen overnight, but it will only make your Rutland stronger - not damage it like the other types.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have a rutland but I have yet to install it. I am waiting for the OEM to finally go and the temperature to increase a bit <span>:bawling:</span>
  • pinballLooking
    edited April 2016
    Options

I had mine for a few weeks. It was cold and I did not want to take a chance on the glue not setting.

You have to not cook on it for 24 hours I have been cooking almost every day. When I would have a day I was not cooking it would rain or I would not have time to do the job.

I cooked last night and I just looked at the lump left over after the cook. I am going to really like a good sealing gasket. I have a lot more lump left over.

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    To the point of the 'hole' in the table...has anyone put something around the cutout to insulate the wood from the Egg?  Just curious.  I haven't seen anything but that doesn't mean it doesn't get done.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE