Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Yeti Rambler Failure

SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
Hey everybody,

Going thru my second warranty with my Yeti Rambler 30, first six months the cup is awesome!
Then for some reason, the cup(s) being to lose their effectiveness.

When the cup(s) were new, I'd add ice (to the top) then water and the ice would last almost all day, by 10pm
the ice was still at about 60 or 70% - simply amazing.

Now, by noon time the ice is less than half way and by 7 pm ... almost nothing and the outside of the cup is freezing cold,
almost like the double insulation is not working.

My question - has anyone else experienced this or am I just getting lucky, Yeti tells me there is nothing
wrong with the cup(s) buy will warranty 'For good customer relations'

Tim

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
yeti 2.jpg 1013.1K

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    We got two of them over a year ago. Nearly 2 now and no issues in either of ours.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Do you wash them in the dish washer? The vac seal may have been affected if you can feel the cup to be that cold on the outside. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    the seal is gone!  might as well be a stainless steel single-wall cup that gets cold and sweats like a pregnant nun.  Get a new cup and wash by hand.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    No issues with mine. I always enjoy getting into a hot car and the outside of the Yeti is quite warm yet the contents inside remain ice cold. Haven't decided if my next one will be a Yeti or my next two will be RTICs, but I've got no complaints with Yeti to this point.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    If the vacuum's gone, it's the same as a Weber...aw, never mind.

We haven't had any issues with ours, we put them in the dishwasher once in a while, but mostly hand wash.  Hot and cold beverages.
  • SoCalTim
    Yeah, I baby my Yeti, hand wash in luke warm water ... I take care of my stuff, I guess it's just my luck.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If the seal fails, you'll know, as you did.  I don't see how a 170F dishwasher would damage a cup designed to hold boiling water.  Their cost is next to nothing.  They should cheerfully replace it.
    Agree with @Nolaegghead 100% (I guess it can happen).... kidding, brother! 

The spec temp range is more than you can tolerate on both ends of the spectrum, hot and cold.  I was told by my friend who is a saled rep for Yeti that handwashing is best.

BTW - have you tried ice cream in the yeti???  #fatboyapproved!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SoCalTim
    That being said, I got a 'tip' here on the forum about WalMart selling their version of the Yeti Rambler for a low price of $9.76

I bought 4 - JUNK!

I'm thinking even if they were from the same Chinese factory where Yeti has their made, they are obvious 'seconds' or for that matter 'thirds' ..
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

http://yeticoolers.com/rambler-tumblers/

Says they are dishwasher safe. Lid on the top Rack, and cup on any rack.

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255

I have a tip that may or may not be new to you.  I fill a red solo cup 3/4 full, or 1/4 empty if it makes a difference to you......

When I use one, I fill that cup and put it back in the freezer for the next day.

Anyway I freeze one big ice cube and use it in my Yeti.  Amazing how long that one large ice chuck will last compared to many ice cubes.

• SoCalTim
    yumdinger said:

I have a tip that may or may not be new to you.  I fill a red solo cup 3/4 full, or 1/4 empty if it makes a difference to you......

When I use one, I fill that cup and put it back in the freezer for the next day.

Anyway I freeze one big ice cube and use it in my Yeti.  Amazing how long that one large ice chuck will last compared to many ice cubes.

Brilliant!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    yumdinger said:

I too am in the big chunk of ice camp, except I use those jumble silicone trays. Compare the crescent ice maker size, traditional cube and then the jumble.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I don't even pay attention to be honest. Is it worth the hassle? Not in my opinion.
    Seattle, WA
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I can't imagine spending 20-30$ on a cup. Whatever floats your boat tho... 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    yljkt said:
    Sounds like RTIC is the brand for you then, instead of $30-40 it's $15-20...
  • yljkt
    Yeah I wouldn't spend that either. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    @yljkt and you own an egg? I'm not a yeti advocate but RTIC has cut those prices in half plus ships to your door, not gonna get much cheaper for a lifetime product
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    yljkt said:
    Your going to be horrified by the amount of disposable income spent on such things around here. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SoCalTim
    @yljkt .. you won't spend $20 or so on a cup .. do you have an egg or a cheap low cost knock off version of the egg? Curious.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If the seal fails, you'll know, as you did.  I don't see how a 170F dishwasher would damage a cup designed to hold boiling water.  Their cost is next to nothing.  They should cheerfully replace it.
    I think the seal/seam  on the outside is the weak point. The outside doesn't see the hot temps that the inside does. 

A few folks here had theirs replaced under warranty last year, for similar issues. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yumdinger
    Try what I do, never wash it.  Just keep filling it up.  
  • yumdinger
    edited April 2016
    yljkt said:
    Just curious what makes a person comment in a thread they have NO reason to even be reading?  You don't own a cup but you thought you would just pop in and ridicule those that do own one?  odd.
  • StillH2OEgger
    I haven't been here as long as most, but even I can remember when this was a much friendlier place.

When it comes to things I use on a regular basis (much less daily) and can purchase something that I will not need to replace anytime soon it's almost a no-brainer. I will piss $40 away on things I need and/or use a lot less than a Yeti, that is for certain.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Well, I  know my Yeti still works. Took a glass of ice and water with me today and left it in the truck for almost 3 hours. Dark blue truck, parked in the sun, sun directly on the Yeti in the cup holder. Probably 85 degrees today. Got back in the truck and everything was hot. Probably 100 inside the truck. Outside of the yeti was hot. The water inside was cold with ice still in it.

I have a Yeti and an RTIC. No difference between them other than lower half dimensions. I grab whichever one is closer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    yumdinger said:
    yljkt said:
    Just curious what makes a person comment in a thread they have NO reason to even be reading?  You don't own a cup but you thought you would just pop in and ridicule those that do own one?  odd.
    Public forum, ease up. He did not ridicule others. Just said it was not worth it to him. He did not talk bad about others spending their money or talk bad about the products. It's all good here. I never thought I would spend that much money on a cup either but after using one I will not go back to the cheaper tumblers. But I still enjoy cooking on my Weber Kettle...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • yljkt
    yumdinger said:
    yljkt said:
    Sorry if I offended anyone. Dont recall ridiculing anyone.  
  • yljkt

SoCalTim said:
    @yljkt .. you won't spend $20 or so on a cup .. do you have an egg or a cheap low cost knock off version of the egg? Curious.
    Yes, I do have a genuine egg. I guess I'd really be an outcast if it was something less. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    yljkt said:
    yumdinger said:
    yljkt said:
    I thought some of the comments taking offense to your statements were a tad harsh. I certainly found no harm in them. Egg on, my friend.
    Stillwater, MN
  • yljkt
    yljkt said:
    yumdinger said:
    yljkt said:
    I thought some of the comments taking offense to your statements were a tad harsh. I certainly found no harm in them. Egg on, my friend.
    Thank you. I'm good. Phuck em. Lol............