Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

simple new dome scraper

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,928
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
Today I picked up a 98 cent 6" Red Devil Tape Knife. I then traced the arc of my large dome and took the band saw to it and then the belt sander to both smooth it and sharpen it. This will make sraping the flaking crud off the dome a lot easier and quicker. I still intend to do a clean burn however. I also plan to make ones for my other size eggs too.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I like 'Idea' people.  Y'all make life easier.

Spring "Why Didn't I Think Of That" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I scraped mine this AM. Man that's some nasty $hit
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    Options
    BTW I put it to use today and it ROCKED! I know there are aluminum ball fans out there, but trust me the 6" width went fast, easy and WELL! Besides I paid less than a buck for it!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Going to make one for the Small as well.  Could not find Red Devil, only very cheap, very flexible ones at Lowes and Home Depot.  Will try with what I bought, but might order the Red Devil ones on Amazon..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I like 'Idea' people.  Y'all make life easier.

Spring "Why Didn't I Think Of That" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

+1 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'm probably displaying a great deal of ignorance here, but how do you trace the arc?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I asked him the same question!  Here is his reply.  :)  "I placed the "knife" handle inside and closed the dome on the blade just enough so that I would only lose the minimal amount of the blade while it was sticking out. Then I just scribed the arc revealed with a lead pencil. That make any sense?"
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • RRP
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I asked him the same question!  Here is his reply.  :)  "I placed the "knife" handle inside and closed the dome on the blade just enough so that I would only lose the minimal amount of the blade while it was sticking out. Then I just scribed the arc revealed with a lead pencil. That make any sense?"
    Thanks for sharing. The rationale is that the dome on the large is essentially half of a sphere. Therefore the arc at the bottom is very close to arc of the full dome. Some modification would be necessary to make one for an XL since that dome is slightly different in shape.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I like that idea Ron. My larges are mostly used for smoking so I have quite a bit of flaking build-up. Most of my higher temp cooks are done on the medium and mini.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    RRP said:
    smbishop said:
    Thanks for sharing. The rationale is that the dome on the large is essentially half of a sphere. Therefore the arc at the bottom is very close to arc of the full dome. Some modification would be necessary to make one for an XL since that dome is slightly different in shape.
    Doh! That makes sense. Got it, thanks Ron. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...