Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenger table protection?

I have a great Challenger table for my Large BGE, bought about two years ago. As far as I can tell, it still looks as good as new, but a local BGE dealer tells me that if I don't give it some kind of UV protective coating it will deteriorate quickly.

I keep it covered when not in use (which is at least 3-4 times a week), but I wonder if there is any truth to his claim, or if it's just a sales pitch. Anyone know for sure?
Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Big_Green_Craig has one. If I paid that much for a table and had to worry about rapid deterioration I would be pissed. Surely that's false and maybe he is trying to sell you a cover
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Thanks. I think you're right. If it hasn't shown any signs of fading in two years, it's not likely to, IMHO.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I don't keep mine covered.  I've only had it 4 months though. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The finish has a lifetime warranty. This would be warranty. Haven't heard of any incidents of this though.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    i wouldn't apply anything to the finish without written approval from the manufacture.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bug Spray with lots of D.E.E.T. :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sounds like your dealer is trying to sell something to you that you don't need. My Challenger stays outdoors in the elements without any type of cover. It still wipes clean. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Bug Spray with lots of D.E.E.T. :tongue:
    Bad Husker...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    The finish has a lifetime warranty. This would be warranty. Haven't heard of any incidents of this though.
    According to their published care and warranty info the finish is only covered by warranty for a period of three years. They may provide coverage on that beyond their published warranty but they are not under any obligation to do so legally.

Challenger suggests that keeping it in the shade or under a cover will lengthen the time before the finish will start fading.

http://challengerdesignsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/5982614-ChallDes-care_warranty-card.pdf

Their finish is paint. As part of their suggested care they say one should occasionally  hit it with some carnauba wax to restore some shine and help prevent fading.

So methinks if one is the type that always garages their cars or puts a cover over them than they'll probably also want to put a cover on their Challenger cart.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Mine is exposed year round under a covered patio when not in use.
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    They are definitely a quality product and I sure do like mine.  Being as I push mine back into the garage after it cools down I wouldn't expect to see any blemishes.  Like anything metal keeping it out of the elements will always prolong it's finish and quality.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    HeavyG said:
    According to their published care and warranty info the finish is only covered by warranty for a period of three years. They may provide coverage on that beyond their published warranty but they are not under any obligation to do so legally.

Challenger suggests that keeping it in the shade or under a cover will lengthen the time before the finish will start fading.

http://challengerdesignsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/5982614-ChallDes-care_warranty-card.pdf

Their finish is paint. As part of their suggested care they say one should occasionally  hit it with some carnauba wax to restore some shine and help prevent fading.

So methinks if one is the type that always garages their cars or puts a cover over them than they'll probably also want to put a cover on their Challenger cart.

A paint sealant would be even better.  Lasts much longer, easier to apply.  Carnauba, depending on grade, will last a couple months.  A good sealant, at least 6 months, usually more.  Poorboys makes awesome carnaubas and sealants.  Their carnuba Natty's Red(for light paints) and Natty's Blue(for dark paints), along with the EX-P sealant, are staples in the detailing bag. 

http://www.amazon.com/Oz-Poorboys-Ex-p-Pure-Sealant/dp/B0002UQA98
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."