Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Santa Maria Grill

My next door neighbor loves my BGE, I often have him and his family over for whatever we've made. He absolutely loves my Mini egg ... so much, he bought me a 'tail-gate' size Santa Maria Grill because (In his words) your Mini looked like he needed a brother ... lol

So, tonight ... I lit that baby up, don't have any experience with a Santa Maria Grill. so I just kinda rolled with it.

Added lump ... waited 15 minutes or so, then added oak. I seared the Tri Tip for 4 minutes a side, then raised the grate and finished to about 135. Incredible! Probably the best I've ever made ... 

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Wow. I learned to ccok TriTip form some of your post about a year ago. To say it can be better..........well I don't know what to say. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,112
    Very, very cool, and it looks like you nailed your first cook!
    The first SM cooker I saw was about 6' long, and build into the ground in an old churchyard in central CA (spanish-style mission).  Like most SM grills I've seen, it had a wheel rather than a crank and at first I thought it was some kind of torture device (it was overgrown with weeds).  One of the cooking channels finally showed one and I realized what it was.  
    You've got a cool neighbor, Tim; is there a website or company name on the grill you could provide?  

The Past, Present, and Future all walk into a bar.

It was tense.  

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Botch said:
    Very, very cool, and it looks like you nailed your first cook!
    The first SM cooker I saw was about 6' long, and build into the ground in an old churchyard in central CA (spanish-style mission).  Like most SM grills I've seen, it had a wheel rather than a crank and at first I thought it was some kind of torture device (it was overgrown with weeds).  One of the cooking channels finally showed one and I realized what it was.  
    You've got a cool neighbor, Tim; is there a website or company name on the grill you could provide?  
    Thanks @Botch ... Yes, the name of the manufacturer is Santa Maria BBQ Grill Outfitters. Their website is - http://www.santamariagrills.com/

@northGAcock - Thanks Brother!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,095
    Very nice, I want one!
    Not a felon
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,822
    Really cool, and the tri-tip looks awesome.
    Stillwater, MN