Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

B&B competition char logs

Options
Anyone tried these, seams like a great price and more likely consistent size pieces, says all made from all natural lump, no added fillers. Think I may pull the trigger.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I did a Google search and found a short video at

https://www.facebook.com/1427869857505769/videos/1525144974444923/

It looks like powdered charcoal squeezed into a stick.

I looked on the B&B web site and they don't show it as one of their products - I found this to be puzzling.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I tried it and it was terrible not sure what was all natural about it. It seemed basically like traditional charcoal. I use theother lump they make and like it. Stay away from this though. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    txhawkeye said:
    I tried it and it was terrible not sure what was all natural about it. It seemed basically like traditional charcoal. I use theother lump they make and like it. Stay away from this though. 
    Darn, I bought it because I was in a city an hour from where I live that has sporting good stores and couldn't wait on responses.

Other than it being more like traditional briquette material, what didn't you like about it? Smell or taste it produced?
  • feef706
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I did a Google search and found a short video at

https://www.facebook.com/1427869857505769/videos/1525144974444923/

It looks like powdered charcoal squeezed into a stick.

I looked on the B&B web site and they don't show it as one of their products - I found this to be puzzling.

Too bad big Moe didn't provide a review, since I bought them I will try and follow up with my review one I try them.
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    It was hard to light and get the fire going. It was fairly odorless, I used the whole bag just not to waste it. I would like to see what you think. 
  • feef706
    Options
    txhawkeye said:
    It was hard to light and get the fire going. It was fairly odorless, I used the whole bag just not to waste it. I would like to see what you think. 
    My plan was to light regular lump in a chimney as usual and dump it over a few of the logs, really was just looking for some consistent size chunks for low and slow
  • Crchamp
    Crchamp Posts: 2
    Options
    The size of these appealed to me…especially for longer cooks when air flow is important. So, I bought some and tried them out on a long cook (brisket). I augmented them with some regular lump as well as oak and pecan wood. I was pleased, overall, with the results, and plan to continue using them.
  • feef706
    Options
    Update: Used the logs for a few cooks and they create a ton of ash, nothing similar to ash from lump, not sure it's even similar to ash from briquette style charcoal, it was very gray and very dense. I'm not a big fan as it could potentially snuff out a good low and slow cook. I will be using these logs in my chiminea from here on out.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Not really related, but I bought a bag of b&b lump, terrible, horrible stuff. Ended up dumping it in the firepit.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Not really related, but I bought a bag of b&b lump, terrible, horrible stuff. Ended up dumping it in the firepit.
    I didn't like the BB lump either. I bought a bag of these logs and they were way worse. Like said above they left grey ash like a briquette. Only plus is they burn forever. I filled my firebox in my XL to season some skillets and had some drinks and "fell asleep". Woke up the next day probably close to 20 hours after lighting and it was still at 250.
  • feef706
    Options
    @Jeremiah @Lit Glad it wasn't just me. From
    here on out I'll stick to the proven coals...
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Best Buy sells lump now?
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Best Buy sells lump now?
    And an extended warranty to go with it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Wanted to withhold judgment till I'd gone thru a few bags. Since it's all Walmart carries, the only place where I will buy lump thanks to no sales tax at the super centers in Florida, I had no choice but to give it a whirl.

Stuff is right up my alley, burns super slow, so very economical. Did a full chicken cook without wood to see how clean B&B burns and could neither smell nor taste a woody flavor to the meat, so it passed by clean-burn test.

It crackles loud on the start, but so what?  Only complaint is how big some of the chunks have come in. Keep a hatchet at close reach to break down the bigger ones.  Got no complaints.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.