Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to find oak wood in NJ for brisket smoke

2»

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    77bronco said:
    Any difference between red oak and white oak for smoking. Is one preferred over the other. I've seen recipes for brisket that call for "post oak". What is post oak (red or white)?

red oak smells kinda bad frankly when fresh cut.  but for smoking, when dry, i have used it and it was fine.  good i mean. i probably used it when relatively fresh too, but the sizes (chips, chunks) were small enough that they were surface dried pretty well fairly soon after cutting.

white oak is cleaner smelling out of the gate, fresh, but i would be lying if i said i had a preference when smoking.

i use dead fall stuff, branches, twigs.  all good.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    77bronco said:
    Any difference between red oak and white oak for smoking. Is one preferred over the other. I've seen recipes for brisket that call for "post oak". What is post oak (red or white)?
    Neither. Post oak is post oak.  Red and white oaks are common and well know in the eastern part of the US.  Post oak is more common in the south central portions (like Texas - home of brisket which is why you often see post oak listed in brisket recipes).  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    77bronco said:
    Per http://www.wood-database.com

I had to look this up myself because I have some chunks of pin oak from my yard and I was curious as to what it was. I've used it for chuckies with good results.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)