Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions on a small big Green egg and chiminea

I am looking to buy me a used small big Green egg and chiminea for 250 for both.  The seller tells me they just need to be cleaned.  I am buying them because I will be out of town for the next 3-8 months and this will be my cooker while out of town.  I might just give it to my dad once I finish the job here? I have two questions, first,  is this a good deal for dirty big Green eggs? Next,  how would I go about washing them properly.  The owner also told me he has only used big Green egg lumped charcoal, FYI. Let me know what you think? 

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    If it has no cracks I'd do it! New chimney cap and a clean burn and you are set!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    No pics of chimnea?  I'd take the deal. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,199
    edited March 2016
    You will have several people here that would buy that chimney off you. Great deal for both! Actually fantastic deal!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    For the price I'd be on them like flys on horse poop. 

To to clean I would fire it up and run the temp around 500 to clean it. I would not do a high temp clean burn as your chances of something breaking duty to heat increase. And there is no warranty. I would look at like this 250 for a used small is good but throwing in the chiminea is a great bonus. 
  • WeberWho
    Is that a big chip towards the bottom vent? That might change things.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ferndchamp
    ferndchamp Posts: 152
    Here are pics of the chiminea,  it does have a chip6
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Yup. I'm your guy if you do the deal and want to part with the chimnea. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,954
    edited March 2016
    Since nobody else has mentioned it that old scissor hinge with the hang down bale style handle really dates that small. It's a pita! I even wonder if the vent is still the old black painted (rusting) vent. Doesn't look like SS to me, but maybe the angle is bad. The gasket replacement is cheap and I know a guy...oh never mind...Between upgrading to a spring assessed band, plus a new SS vent you're probably talking about at least a $125 cost to you. That chip would bother me, but look at it closely for a crack or abuse! That is not popped off porcelain, but from a whack by something hard! Even the come a is a problem as that metal stand is the old style that would cause the cinema to break and dump the burning coals! Now for the 2 at $250 I'd at least point out these problems and offer $200 and settle for $225. OR give him the $250, sell the chimea for a premium since it has collector status value and break even after your upgrade of the small.  =)
  • ferndchamp
    What is a chiminea good for? What kind of replacement gasket should I buy for the small egg?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    RRP said:
    Since nobody else has mentioned it that old scissor hinge with the hang down bale style handle really dates that small. It's a pita! I even wonder if the vent is still the old black painted (rusting) vent. Doesn't look like SS to me, but maybe the angle is bad. The gasket replacement is cheap and I know a guy...oh never mind...Between upgrading to a spring assessed band, plus a new SS vent you're probably talking about at least a $125 cost to you. That chip would bother me, but look at it closely for a crack or abuse! That is not popped off porcelain, but from a whack by something hard! Even the come a is a problem as that metal stand is the old style that would cause the cinema to break and dump the burning coals! Now for the 2 at $250 I'd at least point out these problems and offer $200 and settle for $225. OR give him the $250, sell the chimea for a premium since it has collector status value and break even after your upgrade of the small.  =)
    All very good points Ron...
    and the chip in the top of the Chimnea looks like it runs into a crack running down.
    Still, at 200-250 I would probably gamble and even cook on it with the old hinge.
    Do you think the Small is old enough that the ceramics are made from the older non high temp formula?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ferndchamp
    I am going to take the gamble. I am just going to use these eggs to cook for the next months to come. Once I get back home it will be back to my xl and mini max. I will take pictures of the egg when I get them tomorrow.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,954
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:
    All very good points Ron...
    and the chip in the top of the Chimnea looks like it runs into a crack running down.
    Still, at 200-250 I would probably gamble and even cook on it with the old hinge.
    Do you think the Small is old enough that the ceramics are made from the older non high temp formula?
    My small which I purchased new in 2000 looked just like that one. Btw I was talking about that large chip under the vent of the small, but since the chips on the top of the chimea didn't bother me I didn't blow it up, but I think you are right now. Maybe he could still buy it and piece it out. I recall years ago how some eggers would leave the chimney off, put a small grate on top and cook hot dogs and burgers on it.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2016
    That's a mini not a small, measure the cooking grid. Bet it's 10".

$299 new in the box.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Man! I wouldnt think twice on getting em, even with that crack, but a look in person would confirm the decision
    Austin, Tx
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598

$299 new in the box.
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER  Don't think so, too deep for a mini.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • ferndchamp
    edited March 2016
    Lol I will go see them tomorrow to make my decision.  Thanks for the input my fellow eggers! 
  • Sammi said:

$299 new in the box.
      Maybe...

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Photo Egg
    Sammi said:

$299 new in the box.
      Maybe...
    The old Mini Band/Hinge only used one bolt per band. One for upper and one for the lower band. This one has a bolt on each side, so 2 per band. This is the real old style Band for the Small Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ferndchamp
    Does anyone know what year this is possibly from? I will probably need a new chiminea, gasket,  thermometer,  and vent; does anyone know where to buy these things.  Lead me into the right direction.  If I wanted to buy a new spring ascended band,  where would I buy it.  Thanks in advanced
  • Photo Egg
    Does anyone know what year this is possibly from? I will probably need a new chiminea, gasket,  thermometer,  and vent; does anyone know where to buy these things.  Lead me into the right direction.  If I wanted to buy a new spring ascended band,  where would I buy it.  Thanks in advanced
    All the parts you can buy from your local dealer for the Egg.
    The ceramic parts for the chiminea are no longer available from BGE.
    Unless you stumble across parts on ebay or craigslist you are SOL on the chiminea.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2016
    Dealer is going to be your best bet for parts and accessories. Ebay might have something. You can get a Nomex gasket from a dealer. Rutland gasket through RRP on the forum or most fireplace stores will carry it. 

Minnesota
  • ferndchamp
    The prices are expensive in this part of town.  They wanted 550 for a small egg and an extra 170 for the nest.  I stopped the conversation there.  I didn't want to know how much there prices would be for these parts individually.  Does anyone know where to get these parts online? 
  • Photo Egg
    The prices are expensive in this part of town.  They wanted 550 for a small egg and an extra 170 for the nest.  I stopped the conversation there.  I didn't want to know how much there prices would be for these parts individually.  Does anyone know where to get these parts online? 
    Just clean up the Small Egg. Repaint the bands with high temp paint if you feel the need. Cook on it as-is. Restore it as a "classic".
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I don't think you can get them online. I think you have to go through a dealer. I bought a band with the spring and handle for a small a couple of years ago and it was about $100.00.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Try different dealers if possible, i get different answers for the same questions, sometimes good, sometimes better then others. And different pricing as well!
    Austin, Tx
  • WeberWho
    Photo Egg has a good point of just restoring it and saving some money. I did that with my mini egg

Minnesota