Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Butt Cook Time--- Question?

Options
GaryDZ
GaryDZ Posts: 23
I am by no means an expert-- but I have about 12 butts of experience.

I have not been able to figure this out--- I even asked a couple Engineers a thermodynamic question.  Both gave slightly different answers and neither was sure.  Maybe some here can explain it.

When I cook a single butt (8-9.5 pounds) I usually cook it at 225F (Dome Temp) for about 1.25-1.5 hours/pound--- to get to a center (probe) temp of 195-200F.

Here is the question---  Why does it usually take nearly twice the time to cook 2-- if they are not touching.  

Thoughts---

I can accept that it would require the vents to be open more to achieve a dome temp of 225F with both butts---since they will be absorbing the heat... and that it will burn charcoal faster....   

Why, does it take 2x the time ---if the butts are surrounded by 225F heat in both cases?   I would think that as long as the surrounding temp is 225--- the heat would penetrate at the same rate-whether it is one or two--just take more charcoal to do two.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    Interesting.  2, if they are not touching takes me only slightly longer than 1.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    This took me only a little longer than 1 butt, granted the top ones finished first ...

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I don't share your experiences.  2, not touching only takes me slightly longer than 1.  Maybe an hour more.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'd have to agree with Ozzie and johnnyp. The first time I cooked two, I made the mistake of thinking it would take a lot longer. They ended up being done much earlier than expected.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Two will be more of a heat sink.  I agree with the others - about an hour more.

FYI, If you can, try and cook the same size butts.  Remove the variable and you'll have a better shot at predicting finish time etc.

I always shoot for 9lb butts, and I always do 2.

Hey, @Ozzie_Isaac  you're making me hungry!

Phoenix 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Touching makes zero difference. Not an issue. Even with them crammed together

And if anyone can time a bitt within an hour, that is pretty good. Which means i dunno how they know it will take an hour more, when the time for a butt all by itself can vary by more than an hour to begin with
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Touching makes zero difference. Not an issue. Even with them crammed together

And if anyone can time a bitt within an hour, that is pretty good. Which means i dunno how they know it will take an hour more, when the time for a butt all by itself can vary by more than an hour to begin with
    Truth.  Only minimally added time based on mass of cool/cold protein put on the egg.  Cook your butt's hotter 300-325 or even 350 and you'll get just as good of a result as you do at 225.  Bark is even better.  Less time, less fuss.  See what you think brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've put on two seven pounders. One was done an hour earlier than the other

funny how the second one not only added an hour to the cook time, but it got all of that extra cook time itself

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've put on two seven pounders. One was done an hour earlier than the other

funny how the second one not only added an hour to the cook time, but it got all of that extra cook time itself

This too will happen.  Usually the butt in the back finishes first, but not always.  trust your instant read thermo!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    'The butt in the back finishes first'

oh my

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    'The butt in the back finishes first'

oh my
    Only in Kentucky.... Ask @bgebrent
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"