Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grandson and Pastrami

Options
SmokingPiney
SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
My grandson is spending the day at the house and he assisted me with preparing the pastrami. 

Soaked for 2 days to desalinate and rubbed with garlic paste, salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, ground coriander seeds, and mustard powder. 

On the Egg with pecan chunks at 250 and I'm looking to pull it at 165 IT, refrigerate it a bit, slice it thin and give it a quick steam for Reubens tonight.

More pics to follow when it comes off the Egg. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 

Comments

• eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Looks great, awesome way to spend time with the grandson!
    LBGE
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Thanks! We're on the computer now watching the cook on the Flame Boss. He's fascinated.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SmokingPiney
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Off the the Egg at 165 IT. I'll let it cool in the fridge for about an hour and then slice it. Reubens await!  =)

• HopFather28
    Options
    Just bought a corned beef brisket and plan to make some this week. Problem is I'm the only one who likes pastrami in the house. Any thoughts on long term storage. I mean I know I could freeze it but does anyone have tricks to freeze or store best?
  • SmokingPiney
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @HopFather28I'm guessing you can vac seal it and then freeze it. That's what I'm planning to do if there's any left. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Looks great!  That'll be a good sammich.  
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Thanks, @Dyal_SC. I hope it tastes half as good as it smells.  :)
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've vacuum sealed my leftovers and they defrost fine especially if you steam it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @HopFather28 - just eat it every other day til gone.  I am the big brisket inhaler in my household and I have been known to run with brisket for lunch and dinner for 8-9 days straight.  (No judgements here :) )
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great folks here-but can push the envelope, especially on an alcohol fueled Friday or Saturday.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HopFather28
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap long time reader/lurker and I finally joined. Been an Egger for 5 years. I would totally do what you suggested but I'm in season (baseball) and rarely get to eat at home enough to consume that much pastrami. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great. Are you planning to steam or boil to finish it? Or just slice it as is? I have a couple corned points I picked up for cheap I'm going to try my hand at turning into pastrami and was planning to steam to finish.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    @DMW No steam or boil to finish - didn't need it.. It came off at 165 IT and sat in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up enough to slice very thin. I sliced it and put it in Reubens with home smoked swiss cheese.............and the sammiches were the bomb!  =)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @DMW No steam or boil to finish - didn't need it.. It came off at 165 IT and sat in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up enough to slice very thin. I sliced it and put it in Reubens with home smoked swiss cheese.............and the sammiches were the bomb!  =)

Looks awesome, and I have a bag of sauerkraut in the fridge as well. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    I'll take two of those please!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va