Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick reverse sear question

Options
jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
Today is my 20 year wedding anniversary, so I'm going to try reverse searing some steaks for the first time. I'm trying to get an idea of time involved. About how long do you think it will get a couple of 2" thick steaks to get to 125* at 250* or so? Just looking for an estimate. Steaks will be room temp when I put them on. TIA. 
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• jeffwit
    Options
    Anyone?
    Jefferson, GA
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    It will vary depending on the temp of your fire, but it won't be very long since you are coming from room temperature. I've reverse-seared only once with a 2inch thick ribeye, and it was less than an hour with the dome temp hovering around 250. 

Bottom line - Trust your thermometer and go off internal temp and not time
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2016
    Options
    250 is a good temp to shoot for. It will take much less that an hour if you're starting from room temp. I'd guess 20-30 min at 250 but I've been reverse searing dry age steaks recently, which cook a bit quicker than normal. Use a meat thermometer and pull them at 115 then crank up the heat and sear around 600 for 30 seconds a side with the dome open for a perfect mid rare (quickly sear the edges while pulling the steak as well)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Give your self some time - probably an hour to an hour and a half from starting time to eating.  The biggest way I screw up the reverse sear is to rush it.  Once you've hit your internal temp, like 115, you can pull them and let them sit in a pan tented with foil.  they'll stay plenty warm at least 15-20 minutes.  just before searing, I dry them off with paper towels and reseason them.  After searing I like another 10 minute rest.

happy anniversary! 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

It will depend on the beef. Quality, moisture and aging. I would guess at 30 to 40 minutes @ 250* Are you looking for a medium finish? It will rise in the rest maybe 10* at that thickness and probably 10* more in the sear. Like a roast kind of.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jeffwit
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Cook is in progress for an early dinner. Will post results later.
    Jefferson, GA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Congratulation on the 20th anniversary.

A little late, but I normally do 1.5" prime ribeyes @275 and it takes maybe 30-40 minutes. So you might be looking at up to an hour for yours plus the sear. They will come out great. Lately I have been searing on a CI skillet on the stove. Consider that if you are a little pressed for time.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.